Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Internal Engine Cleaning??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Default Internal Engine Cleaning??

I was wondering if there was any kits or chemicals that could clean the inside of my engine, as it could get rid of the ticking noise from under the hood. As well what are the advantages of flushing your radiator? Any suggestions?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Default RE: Internal Engine Cleaning??

I don't know how old your truck is but i can tell you what not to use:
Seafoam or Marvels Mystery oil both of these are for really old P.O.S.'s I used them in a last ditch effort to save my college bomb. fraid thats whot did em in tho!

Lucas brands seem to be pretty reliable, I have used them in my vehicles for quite a while.

Flushing the radiator is a pain in the a$$! take it to a local lube and go and have them do it, again if your truck is old becareful of your seals!

Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM

I don't know if doing an engine flush is going to cure your ticking noise. However if it hasn't been done in a while it's probably a good idea anyway. ( over the counter and follow the directions)

If it's something like a sticky lifter many people have had success with adding a litre/( Canadian here eh!) quart of transmission fluid on your next LOF or add to existing fluid as long as it remains below full on the dip stick. A lot of techs I know swear by Lucas. Quiets down your engine but not a permanent fix. ( will keep it quiet as long as its in the crankcase.
Good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM

I know it doesn't clean, but I swear buy lucas oil stablizers. For the cleaning though I use shell motor oil as it has the same cleaning agent as rotella t motor oil. For cleaning the cylinders, believe it or not. "IF" the ticking you hear is the pre-ignition pinging. That's a carbon build up in the cylinder increasing the compression ration. So....., two things I do. Higher octane fuel for a bit, and grap a vacum line under the hood and legt the truck dring a couple full glasses of water. Yes, let the vacum line suck water in, and work the throttle to keep the engine running, but the water can get rid of the carbon.

Good luck

Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 PM

geez, sorry bout the typos. hot dog fingers

Old 03-01-2007, 09:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

Seafoam is friggin' GARBAGE!!! Dunno about that Marvels stuff, though.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 AM

If you disconnect the maf before you start the truck up it will take the maf out of the loop and you will be able to start the truck without it. Now remove all intake plumbing from the tb. Get a spray bottle with water, and with the truck up to operation temp give short blasts down into the tb while keeping a hand on the throttle to keep the rpms up. The water will steam up in the cylinders and eat carbon up and help burn it off. It can also help the cat too. But go slow so. You could do damage to the cat if to much carbon is released too soon.I did this trick on my 95fleetwood with 193,000 miles and it worked great, and the tick went away.

Bill