Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Lowered the Rear of my 07 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Default Lowered the Rear of my 07 Sierra

Sorry for a lack of pics, but just thought I'd throw it out there that if anyone is contemplating lowering the rear of your Sierra by a few inches...I used the Belltech 6401 shackles, and they work/look great.

Some notes from the installation....

1 - Had to remove the trailer hitch in order to get the bolts out of the stock shackles, so add a good 30 mins on for that.

2 - Also had to use a pry bar in order to pry the leaf springs away from the frame a bit, also to remove the top bolt from the stock shackles. This took two people, one to use the bar, and one to remove the bolts.

3 - I used a 4 ton jack and 2 jack stands for the job, worked fine.

4 - I didn't use the extension spacers to lower the rear the whole 3", as I think it would make it lower than the front. As is, the rear is about 1/2" or so higher than the front still, but it looks much better than before and is barely noticeable that it's not quite level.

5 - I'm in the military so I was able to use the auto hobby shop on base to do the installation. It cost $18 to rent the tools for the 3 hr job (which is probably longer than it will take most, I'm just not that mechanically inclined!). The shackles themselves were about $80 total, so the whole job cost me less than $100. I didn't find anyone in town who could do it for less than $400, so doing it yourself is well worth it. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

6 - I read that some had vibration problems after installation, but I haven't had any whatsoever at speeds up to 70 mph. I haven't gone faster than that yet since installing them. This could be because I didn't go the entire 3" and left the stock spacers alone. And I do have the 4-door extended cab, which seems to be where people were getting vibration.

7 - Finally, putting the trailer hitch back on was more difficult than it should have been, and one of the bolts didn't want to line up right. PULLING ON THE BACK OF THE HITCH WHILE YOUR PARTNER IS UNDER THE JACKED-UP TRUCK IS NOT A GREAT IDEA! No matter how strong you think you are, you can't lift 5k pounds. Thank god for jack stands and fuel tank guards!!

Hope this helps anyone looking to do the same.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Add some rear air shocks to top it off. That what I did. I got them at Autozone for bout 54 bucks. So now when I haul some weight I can raise it to keep it level. Ive had them for bout a year now and no problems whatsoever. Post some pics!!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Not sure I'll need them since I didn't lower it the whole 3", but I'll definitely keep it in mind if towing becomes an issue.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM

i have an 07 sierra and ive been contempating whether i should drop the back or lift the front. if i was to lift the front i would put bigger wheels and tires on it. The wheels arent flattering to say the least. but id like to see some pictures of your truck if you dont mind!!