Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

MAG-HYTEC Tranny & Rear End Pans !@!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Default MAG-HYTEC Tranny & Rear End Pans !@!

Something I wanted to share that I feel is important if you start to pump up the volume on your truck is the option to increase oil volume on two important drivetrain components.
->>> MAG-HYTEC PAN/COVER <<<-
I put on both the "MAG-HYTEC," Transmission Pan and Rear-end Cover on my 00/Z71
The Tranny Pan adds between 5-7 quarts to the transmission system depending on if you have a tranny cooler, which you do if you have the Trailer Package option.
1.)_________The Transmission "MAG-HYTEC" pan___________
It is large and has a very large magnet in it as well which I can tell you from using the type you simply attach since 1999 starting with my C5, you should use. The magnet is on the drain plug. Black, one piece billet using a strong rubber O-Ring gasket (one would never need to replace it but you can), allen screws are used and torque'd to 12lbs. The pan has fins the entire length for even more cooling; I would urge you to do this. It sits almost flush with the frame rails and looks as good as it cools. The extra Dex III makes a difference you can feel in the form of smooth gear transfer. Simple to install (45 mins as I am slow) it offers you almost double the cap the original pan does being almost 4" deeper the entire length. You should start using DEX III for the Transmission. My service manager at the Dlrshp told me that he recommends only 30,000 miles between fluid changes, way different from the GM manual. He told me that since I used DEX III, I could go to 50,000 miles. I change all fluids once a year June 1st anyway but it was nice to hear that the DEX III is superior to GMs standard brand. Make sure to buy 2 Gallons and 4 additional Quarts of Dex III to top it off. The Deep Sump allows for the air to offer massive cooling to your tranny.
2.)_________The Rear End "MAG-HYTEC" Cover___________
One of the major reasons people don't change their rear end oil is because you have to remove the cover to get the oil out. Then you must clean off the diff, get a new gasket then pump the oil back into the rear end through a small hole in the top. If you go to the Dlrshp, it costs you up to $180; $90 for the baseline 75/90 oil just to start. Add 2 hrs labor and your @ $180.
The MAG-HYTEC Rear end cover is also deep, near 8 quarts of Almasol did it as per the O-Ringed "DIPSTICK," that is part of the cover. Installation is a breeze and took me 30 mins. Removing the stock cover you need only sand with 120 grit wet/dry paper to get what little gasket is left. The Rear End Cover is held on by allen screws as well, 10 all torque’d to 12lbs. The DipStick opening is about 1" around where the O-Ring seals the stick into the covers top. The drain plug is in the center of the bottom at the lowest point where you're assured to get all oil out. The DipStick is Magnetized and that is where all the metal fur sticks to. You can simply. at your leisure, open it, the dipstick, up with the provided allen wrench to reveal a nice 3/8ths" size grab handle attached to the 1" intake plug which is attached to a 3/8ths," long dipstick reaching all the way down to the bottom. The dipstick being dual purpose has a highly visible diamond etched low and correct amount point, easily seen without glasses. Same stunning black billet w/Fins vertical along the entire body, the cover stands out in a subtle yet eye catching manner. Unlike the chrome covers, this Cover does provide twice the amount of oil, a way to drain not to mention you do not need to pump the oil back in. You have enough clearance to hand pour quarts of "non foaming, heat reducing Almasol 607 Vari Purpose Gear Lubricant. Almasol is used by the Armed Services for all fleet and off-road equipment as well as Industrial Gearboxes, Rock and Coal crushers. This oil "ATTACHES," itself to all moving/working surfaces in a single layer yet rejects build up and does not affect clearances. Your rear end will run 45* cooler. I can tell you, the GM crap I took out of the rear-e

Old 11-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: MAG-HYTEC Tranny & Rear End Pans !@!

If you are going to be changing your DEXRON III ATF you might as well be using the latest and greatest product. GM TSB 04-07-30-037A Dated 8/19/05 announced the release of DEXRON VI ATF. The fluid is factory fill for 2006 SOP and can be used for any vehicle that currently uses DEXRON III. Listed below are the improvements:
Clutch Friction Stability improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness improved 20%
Fluid Oxidation improved 100%
Foam/Aeration improved 150%
Shear Stability improved 200%
Any GM dealer should be able to supply your needs.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 AM

GM TSB 04-07-30-037A Dated 8/19/05
DEXRON VI ATF
And GM announces it as "another TSB." GO FIGURE. Flushing my entire drive train yearly on all my cars/trucks, I have seen this New Great Oil after having to let the dlrshp do it for me in December 05' after dealing with the "Lance Armstrong Cancer," TC Since Late 04'. Another GM wonder like the Dex-Cool which started out as a TSB and created 164 TSBs and 6 state class action lawsuits 5 years later. I was pleased after I went in this last month after having to have my tranny changed (The New Oil Worked Great, arghh) and having the Mag Hytec Pan added. I brought in my own DexIII to replace the factory oil in my NEW TRANNY. My Service Manger informed me that instead of having to change the tranny oil out at the most 30k, I could wait with comfort to 50k if I had to due to health; all because of staying with the older DexIII. I put 25k-30k a year on my Z71 towing my Z28/ss and another 25k on my 3500 Dly pulling our CORR Trophy or our Pit Trailer. Change is not always good, especially when it come in the form of a "ANOTHER GM TSB." Each to his own I always say. Maybe they will release Dex VII in another year without it having to be announced as a TSB, WHICH IS never a good thing.
Greek

Old 11-14-2006, 12:14 PM

You of all people should know that many TSB's are of an informational nature and that is just what 04-07-30-037A is all about. How else is a technician going to keep up with changes. I don't think relying on the Parts Dept to tell everyone about the new fluid is the thing to do.
What do you mean by "I have seen this new great oil". Are you trying to fog everyones mind by implying it is no good without stating facts about it. Notice I said facts, not your usual line of BS. It seems you are blaiming the new ATF for your trans failure when it was a failure of, was it the "sun gear drive shell". The fluid will not prevent the failure of a structural weakness in a hard part. As you have previously mentioned, if I am recalling correctly, your truck has been modified and the power substantially increased along with having lots of miles on it. The new fluid is superior to DEXRON III but if you and you Service Manager want to use the old technology, go ahead. Just don't do a customer a favor and use DEXRON III in a 2006 vehicle. When DEXRON VII comes along I am sure an informational TSB will be issued.
ORIGINAL: makoltd

GM TSB 04-07-30-037A Dated 8/19/05
DEXRON VI ATF
And GM announces it as "another TSB." GO FIGURE. Flushing my entire drive train yearly on all my cars/trucks, I have seen this New Great Oil after having to let the dlrshp do it for me in December 05' after dealing with the "Lance Armstrong Cancer," TC Since Late 04'. Another GM wonder like the Dex-Cool which started out as a TSB and created 164 TSBs and 6 state class action lawsuits 5 years later. I was pleased after I went in this last month after having to have my tranny changed (The New Oil Worked Great, arghh) and having the Mag Hytec Pan added. I brought in my own DexIII to replace the factory oil in my NEW TRANNY. My Service Manger informed me that instead of having to change the tranny oil out at the most 30k, I could wait with comfort to 50k if I had to due to health; all because of staying with the older DexIII. I put 25k-30k a year on my Z71 towing my Z28/ss and another 25k on my 3500 Dly pulling our CORE Trophy. Change is not always good, especially when it come in the form of a "ANOTHER GM TSB." Each to his own I always say. Maybe they will release Dex VII in another year without it having to be announced as a TSB, WHICH IS never a good thing.
Greek

Old 11-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Is this your first forum? Have you any idea how rude and weak it is to have to quote others thoughts in your comments. You act as if the people here are to stupid or lame to actually read the whole thread. I see what you’re doing as do others. You need to be a big shot here, go ahead m8. I came here to post because people were asking questions and few were responding. I learned long ago that the best thing about learning was sharing. You have taken my mind off of that in 1 week. You pleased? I would always respect another’s views and new info, always taking it into consideration. What stops me from showing you that respect is the fact you aren't offering anything valid, just the same stories we all read in our Peterson's mags. If GM had stuck to "OLD Technology," with respect to their Anti-freeze, there wouldn't be over 240,000 people in 7 states joined in a class action lawsuit against GM & Dex-Cool, the latest and greatest. That doesn't include the people who are just flat out intimidated by the GM Service Gestapo.
Look at the Fast Burning Heads. They are a remake of the 63' 327 Fueli heads, shy of being "202s." The Old Tech you speak of is not only a basis of all things new but the reason GM can go from a 220hp 350ci Silverado in 1994 -> a 320hp 323ci engine in 06. Stroke & De-tune is the Old School way, the 69 Z28 way.
Reading books and actually doing are two different things. Spending thousands of dollars per car (28) since I was 15 has taken me on a very winding journey. One which allows me to honestly tell a member here which mods work the best together, with respect to what they are asking for. I do this knowing most can't afford to try many different combos to get it right. Most don't have access to a dyno nor ECM/PCM programmers as I have. My Father and Uncle ran an A/Gas Anglia back in the day. I've gone from racing bikes (MX) to cars in my near 40 years of driving and Old School or "old ways," as you put it means one thing to me. Actually doing it, not just talking about it. Be constructive here instead of trying so hard to make yourself feel important. I didn't see you bother to help the fellow with the back up light question, why not? I don't see you researching TSBs for users, why not? You offer no links, recite magazine articles and choose to act puffy instead of actually looking at the question posted. You’re all over the board. Some of these people need help. I learned that at LS1.com back in 1997. I read you like a book m8; you can bet others do as well. If you need me to make you look smarter I will take that as a compliment. After all, putting MY WORDS, in each and every one of your posts demonstrates one thing; alone, your L7 and have nothing to offer
Thank you
Greek