Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new to the forum, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by chevyrules
I too have a Flowmaster single in , dual out catback system on my '03 Silverado, and it sounds pretty good too, but not extreme so i cannot get an inspection sticker. A local muffler shop did mine for $300.00 i believe, with chrome tips included. I have a K&N FIPK CAI, and thats all the mods. I have the 4.8L engine. Just my .02 worth, Jim
where you from that the local shop did it for $300? is that just the install work? if i order the magnaflow....or some other one, i can install it myself at the base hobby shop. they rent lifts out for like $3 an hour, can use all the air hose and tools you want! can't beat that

Old 06-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

If you order a cat back set up, its real easy to do. A couple bolts and undo the hangers and the old one is off. You might just need some ramps. As for the tune, you could get one for bout $265 maybe even less. I paid 300 for mine but the guy lives here and he just hooks up his laptop and goes to town. I pay only one time, after that he tunes it for free every time. Your gonna spend a hundred bucks on a chip that will probably not be noticeable at all. Then your gonna get a custom tune down the line and that chip wont be able to be used at all. IMO, save ur money for a custom tune. If you want the chip then go for it, but we all speak from experience to let the new guys know whats the best bang for the buck and whats not. I see it all the time.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
If you order a cat back set up, its real easy to do. A couple bolts and undo the hangers and the old one is off. You might just need some ramps. As for the tune, you could get one for bout $265 maybe even less. I paid 300 for mine but the guy lives here and he just hooks up his laptop and goes to town. I pay only one time, after that he tunes it for free every time. Your gonna spend a hundred bucks on a chip that will probably not be noticeable at all. Then your gonna get a custom tune down the line and that chip wont be able to be used at all. IMO, save ur money for a custom tune. If you want the chip then go for it, but we all speak from experience to let the new guys know whats the best bang for the buck and whats not. I see it all the time.
Sounds good. Look more into and start saving up. Any suggestions on billet grills?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

On the billet grilles there are quite few designs that would look good on these trucks. Its really personal choice but I like em cuz it makes the front appear awesome.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM

In the long run you will spend just as much for a "Box" tune as you will for a Custom Tune. Check out Black Bear Justin is the best, he can make your truck fit you, a box tune is the same for everybody that buys it. I know you are wanting to see some gains but do a little more reading about the custom tune and I think you will go with one. It took me 2 months of researching the issue, but I'm going with BBP. Good luck in your decision.