Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Needing Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Default Newb Needing Help

I am helping out my bro-in-law who has no or very slow 'net access.

I am a total newb to Chevies, I've only ever worked onVW's so bear with me.

My BIL has a 1994 K(?)1500 Shortbed(?) no overdrive, which he believes the trans is shot (30 to 40K miles on the odometer). I do not know how he came to this conclusion. He and a friend dropped the trans; they thought they had a suitable replacement, turns out not. Now they are stuck, no local replacements (No. Central PA).

I've read enough to know that the trans may not be shot; and read these models could come with an electronic trans (whatever that is) and that the electronics can cause issues that might be misinterpreted as mechanical. So here are some basic questions I have; I'd like to hear some questions from the kind users here thatcould us get to the bottom of this problem:

- Can this trans be rebuilt by a hobbyist with the right tools?
- What specialty tools (GM specific) might be required for a rebuild? Can these be rented? purchased aftermarket?
- Do I have the make/model info right? Am I even in the right forum?
- What other years/makes/models might have a trans that would fit? Or where would I get that kind of info?
- Can rebuild parts be bought online? over the counter? Or is it best to just wholesale replace the trans? Do they make a rebuild 'kit' (seals, etc.- that are commonly replaced)
- What questions would the parts man ask me?
- What diagnostic work might we do that would tell if the problem is electrical vs. mechanical?
- What would a reasonable price be for a used trans? a rebuilt one? What are some good online sources for either a whole trans, or the necessary parts?

Thanks all,
Larry

Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Default RE: Newb Needing Help

The overdrive is controlled electronically. You may save a lot of time and money taking it to a tranny shop or the dealership to have a diagnosis ran.
I do not recommend rebuilding the trans yourself. I have a 700R4 in my Toyolet that took 4 tries and 6 months to get right. If you leave the smallest amount of debris in there it will go bad. If you misplace a flow ball it will go bad. If the valves are installed a little off it will not shift right and will go bad. If a shop does it you get a warranty and, hopefully, free tows.
Replacing the entire transmission is overkill considering the amount of miles and the type of transmission, it's not a 4L60E. Check for codes and replace the appropriate electrical part.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 AM

I'm reading that the 700R4 was replaced by the 4L60-E in 1993 for this type truck (2WD short bed), is that not right?

I also understand the 4L60-E had a fatal flaw in the valve body design, but that there is a kit to fix that, does that sound right?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM

You may be correct on both points. I am not great with dates. I thought the 4L60 wasn't until late '90s. Don't take my word for it, if you find conflicting info at a reputable source follow that before me. I have not heard of a fix for the valve body though it may exist.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 PM

The E model started going into vechiles in 1997, went full swing by 1998. If I remeber right the trucks/SUV's got them first haven't had to know for a bit.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 PM

i would have triedsome new solenoids before i dropped the trans, and they did have 4l60e's in 94 thats right about the time they came out. Astro vans and pickups and fullsize vans all got them.