Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Default No spark

Hello all. I'm new here and have an issue with my pickup. It's a 95 Sierra 1/2 ton 4.3 and I'm not getting any spark. I had a miss, so I went exploring and found the no. 4 cylinder plug to be carbon-fouled pretty bad, so that's gonna be an issue. But for now, I just cleaned it off, regapped,and put it back in. I just replaced my plugs about 10k miles ago, so there's no need to replace them yet. I went ahead and replaced the distributor cap, rotor since they were pretty worn. Now, here's where the trouble comes. I got it all back together, plugs in all the right places, and tried to crank. It'll turn over but won't start. I did the spark test and there isn't any. I was getting voltage to the coil, but when I tested the wire from the coil to the ICM there wasn't any. So I replaced the coil. Then, first time I turned the key, it started up. It was really rough so I must have had some wires crossed. So I shut it off. Moved the wires around now it won't start again. I'm wondering if I've got a short in that coil-to-distributor-wire, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Default RE: No spark

there are 2 sensors in the distributor. one is easy to replace and right under the cap..its not that one usually but replace it any way. the other one is actually underneath the metal base that the cap screws onto. it looks like a donut with two wires comin out of it. you have to pull the distributor take off the drive gear slide the shaft out and replace that one.