Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

PLOW TO HEAVY FOR MY 97 Help.. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Default PLOW TO HEAVY FOR MY 97 Help.. Please.

Hi all I am new to the forum and realize this is a strange time of year to be talking about plowing. I recently purchased a Fisher 7'6" plow for my 97 Silverado Z71 pickup. I am the original owner and she only has 42,000 miles on her! Well the problem is when I set the plow on her she dips in the front (big time). I have been told to put airbags or a set of Timbrens(?) in the front to level it out. The problem is I can't find any of these products to work for my 97. Anyone have a solution other than buying a smaller plow to fix this? A link or something would be VERY appreciated.
Thanks in advance Sixty4....

Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: PLOW TO HEAVY FOR MY 97 Help.. Please.

how much are you going to be plowing with your truck? and is it going to be used for plowing alone?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Well here is the thing. I have always babied this truck since I purchased it. The wife and I are closing on a newer house that has a Looong hilly driveway. I will be helping out my parents with there place as well (give dad a well deserved break from the old snow blower). The problem is they live three towns away so I will need to travel the highway to plow them out. I know I will have friends that will want to have me come over and help them out (everyone knows what thats like) I never mind that kind of stuff. It will finally go to work once and for all, with any luck I may be able to pick up a few stops tooffset the price of theplow faster. Lets hope it snows a bit this year! Well thats pretty much it. Any suggestions to help me getanother 10 years with out killing it would be Great! I know that plowing sometimes puts an end to a truck quick if not set up correctly. With the new houseI just can't swing a newer Silverado now (as much as I would love to get a new one)so I need to make due. Sorry for War & Peace.
Sixty4...

I am all ears

Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Sounds like you could crank the torsion bars up. Just an idea.
When my freind and I hooked up his plow this is what we did:
* Mark the torsion bar bolts.
* Put a ratchet on them and (before you turn the bolt), line it up with the cross member.
*Give it a few complete turns, each time returning it to the original position, lining it up with the cross member. Count the turns.
*Do this until your truck is fairly level.
*Simply do the opposite to crank them back down.
*KEEP COUNT OF HOW MANY TURNS!
As far as plowing goes, slow and easy, try to avoid hanging up on, or hitting the plow off of stuff. (creases in the pavement, curbs, the dog).

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks I have been searching the internet all evening long. It seems that firestone makes a front air shock but will not work on my 97. Timbren makes a bump stop of sorts but not for the 97. You may be correct I may have to adjust everytime I plow (this would stink). I am wondering what the differance is between the 1999 front shocks and the 97 shock are. Another totally differant set up I am guessing? Well I will keep looking but this may be the only way to get her to sit level.

Thanks! If anyone else has a suggestion please don't be shy.
Sixty4...

Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 AM

After you crank up the torsion bars or install air bags, you might want to consider filling a few heavy duty sand bags and place a few hundred pounds in the very back of the bed during "plow season" to offset the heavy front end and gain more traction. It's a cheap option.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Good news!! Timbren makes these frontbump stops for my 97 timbren part# gmfk35c for someone looking in the future. Not that bad of a price 169.99 delivered to my door. I think I am in luck! Now lets talk about adding a 2ndbattery with a switch overand bigger alternator for this truck.