Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Possible ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Default Possible ABS problem

I have a 2002 Silverado 1500.

2 weeks ago I replaced the rear brakes. Then a week later I started having problems stopping at low speed. Acted like i was slidding on ice. Heard the ABS sound.

So I replaced all the rotors and brakes, bleed the brakes, cleaned the I think speed sensor in the tire.

I read on here about taking the ABS fuse out. Did that and stops fine.

What does this mean?

Also the emergency brake barely works.

thanks
Ryan

Last edited by archerobx; 07-23-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM

You need to adjust your rear brakes if they are drums. After that you need to check your front hubs. If they are worn out they will cause the ABS to think it is slipping, there for it will engage when not needed. (Usually at low speeds) OR, you cleaned the sensors too good! (I don't think that is possible, but you may have messed them up) You may need to replace them. But I would think they would throw some kind of code if they were bad.

Good luck with your wrench turning!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM

The rear are disc also.

I changed the rear and fine then started the problems. No lights or anything. Have hand held reader and said no codes.

When I pulled the fuse the ABS light and the red brake light came on.
havent checked it it threw a code or not but I will check.

How do I check front hubs? Never dealt with that before. What would make them go? Guess if I am replacing one I should do both.

thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM

The front hubs are what holds the wheel onto the steering knuckle. It has nothing to do with how you drive that makes them wear out, it has to so with the stresses on the wheel and that in turn makes the hubs wear sooner. Also, the hub always turns when you drive so it will always be wearing out.

As for the rear brakes, I don't know. One other thing I just throught of, did you bed in the brakes sence you just changed them.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM

did you bed in the brakes sence you just changed them?

I did bleed them after I replaced the brakes and rotors and still had the problem. them cleaned the speed sensor and still have problem.

Is there some way to check the hubs to make sure thats what it is?

thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM

To check the hubs you can just jack up the truck and move the wheel side to side and up and down, if it moves in any direction there is something wrong. Now that doesn't mean it is the hub though.
Take the wheel off if there is movement, take the caliper and disc off or out of the way. Then try to move the hub back and forth any direction. If there is a bit of slop there then the hub may be going bad, you can also turn the hub with everything off and listen to it.
If it is nice and quiet then it is good. (that is saying it doesn't have a bunch of slop in it)

Bleeding the brakes and bedding in the brakes are two different things. Your brakes will feel light and mushy if they are not bed in yet. Also if you bled your brakes and you did it wrong or out of order that can also cause this problem.

You said that when you pulled the ABS fuse it all went back to normal?? Is this correct?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM

When I pulled the fuse the problem stopped, but the abs and brake lite came on.

I will check the hubs tommorrow and make sure I did the brakes correctly. Also thought to go to auto zone and have them check for codes.

Really appreciate your help. Sorry if I sound ignorant with some of your questions.

thanks
Ryan

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 PM

could be an abs valve problem