Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

REAR END CLUNK

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Default REAR END CLUNK

I have a 2002 silverado 1500 w/ less than 70k miles. From the day I purchased the truck there has been a clunk in the rear end area of the truck. The dealer has looked at it several times and says its the nature of the vehicle, thier solution has been to spue greese in the area where the leafspring ends are to stop them from slaping. I recently had both U-joints replaced so I know thats not the problem.
I can't believe a vehicle was mass produced with this condition. Is there a fix, and is my dealership full of used car salesman.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks GTRMN101

Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Default RE: REAR END CLUNK

We have 2001 Z71 with @80,000 miles now, have owned it since new. Have experienced same problem, my dealer "lubes" something (shaft??) and say thats it, it won't hurt it and its normal. It has became progressively worse to the point you feel like you're getting rear ended. Hard to believe that it won't get worse or hurt it in the long run.....

We also lose a minimum 2 quarts of oil (no leaks) between changes since new and in the manual (honest to god, I have the copies of the pages) this is acceptable to them.....

This was my first american make vehicle in 25 years...now dealing with a transfer case problem, my 2005 Escalade with 13,000 mi has black differential fluid and our 2006 corvette roof is starting to peel off. Rethinking the "buy american" thing.

Anyone know why a transfer case would have no fluid in it, but no signs of leaks either???

Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 PM

Reply to post 1 and 2. Transfer case with no fluid!?! Who just serviced the vehicle? I can't imagine a transfer case going very far with no fluid. As far as oil consumption, 1 qt in 2000 miles is an industry standard and is related to the way the vehicle is used. The harder it is worked, the more oil you will use. Try a change to synthetic oil which may be more tolerant to hard use, trailer towing, heavy loads, etc.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:59 PM

So far, no clunk, or jumps or grinds!!!

We just got the truck back from a transmission place (not the dealer)....They took apart the transfer case (which had a crack in it) and the pump inside was bad. We were told that this is very common with this design and when the pump goes bad, it overheats the transfer case causing it to crack. They put a different pump in it, we had them change the synchronizers, welded the case and it is better than it has been in years so far....

Will keep you posted.