Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end suspension problem/clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Default Front end suspension problem/clunk

Hi all, new to the site and have a question about a problem that I've been having with my 01 chevy silverado.
I was experiencing a clunk in the front suspension as I would ride over any types of bumps in the road. They are most noticeable with bigger bumps, railroad tracks, that sort of thing. I would feel a looseness in the brake pedal and even a popping in the steering wheel.
Well I took the truck into a chevy dealer and they found 2 things wrong: #1 my int. steering shaft needed replacing, #2 all 3 of my front diff. bearings were bad they told me........so they fixed both.

I never took the truck for a test drive after, just drove it home.....and two days later I heard the clunk again, but the brake pedal and steering wheel popping/looseness has been fixed. I drove to work today and had some vibration feeling in the steering wheel now and the clunk is still present.
Now this leads me to believe its a bad shock.
Has anyone experienced this or could tell me what to look for? Is there somewhere better to take the truck than to the dealer? I don't think my ext. warranty now covers shocks.

thanks much

Matt

Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Front end suspension problem/clunk

If your shocks are dry I wouild rule those out and check the "CV" joints. Oh wait before doing that check the stabilizer bar link bolts for proper torq.