Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rear running lights 95 Silverado 2500

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Beginner
Default Rear running lights 95 Silverado 2500

Just purchased a 95 Silverado 2500 2WD for winter. First Chevy pickup so please bare with me! I have headlights, turn signals, reverse lights and even brake lights both front and rear. What I do not have are rear running lights. Checked the fuses, all fuses are good, nothing blown. Checked the bulbs, all bulbs are in good working order. Just no rear running lights.
From what I could gather doing some Google searches the tail light circuit boards are basically crap and go bad after some time. So, before I throw parts at this issue are there other areas I should be looking to solve the problem? Grounds and corroded wires, trailer stuff... Just not sure since I am definitely not familiar with these trucks what so ever!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks again!!!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Beginner

Ok, guess i'm on my own with this one!

Found a wiring diagram. Pulled my headlight switch so i can gain access to the wires. Pulled the tail light and circuit board. Yellow wire, flashers/turn signals. Brown wire, running lamps. Tested this at the switch, headlights work when switched, tails do not and I have 12 v at the brown wire from the switch. So, crimped a connector on the brown wire at the switch, cut some 14 gauge wire about 20 feet long, spliced the wire into the switch. added a T-splice connector to the brown wire at the tail light and plugged in my patch wire from the switch. Tail light works with the switch along with the headlights. Ok, not a ground issue, has to be corroded wire somewhere between the switch and the rear of the truck. The truck is so rusty trying to find it might be a pain in the ***. Came across the trailer wiring, same 4 wires as the tail lights. Touched my patch wire to the brown on the trailer harness and now both tail lights work with the switch in the "on" position. So, I think I'll just run a good, solid patch wire from the switch to the trailer harness and solve my issue instead of trying to trace the body harness through all the rust and corrosion under the truck. Truck is a P.O.S. anyways, just don't feel like driving my 2012 Mustang in the snow!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
TMW

Just saw your post. I agree it's probably best to just run a new wire.