Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Beginner
Default remote starters

what name brand remote starters are you guys using for remote starters? I would like to put one in my 2005 Chevy Duramax 3500 4X4 truck. Does GM make one as a aftermarket accessory for a plug and play? About what is the price for these? How much splicing and wiring if it isn't a plug and play? I know this is a lot of questions but I figure this is the place to get the correct answers. thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Default RE: remote starters

My 2008 silverado came with a remote start, so I assume they can install it easily.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:34 PM

I was kind of wondering something along the same lines. Do they make a starter with a glow plug delay for a Diesel truck?

Moose Your truck is probably not a diesel, in which case the glow plugs aren't a concern

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 AM

After market starters are made to have the glow plug delay. You can also get them with a turbo timer! I would reccommend that you go to the after market world and get one. They willget you a longer range and they have them that integrate an alarm. If you get an active alarm then your full coverage insurance usually goes down.

I like having the stock look, but the stock world doesn't have all the features that the aftermarket world can offer.

I have a Cool start (really cheap) on my truck, I have had it for about 5 years. It works really great! I even use it when I don't need it to be warmed up, summer or winter, I use it. I am a firm believer in giving the engine time to warm and to get the oil circulated before putting your foot into it. Also when you use a remote starter and have climate control, you will find that you are more comfertable when you first start driving. My wifes car also has a remote starter (2-way, 2000') and climate control (Cadillac). I LOVE IT! So does she, but what can I say. If the wife is happy, I am happy. (well most of the time!)

The one thing I didn't like on the one on my wifes car was that it was sapposed to have the multi memory settings, basically it was sapposed to have two different remotes so that when I used my remote (Setting #2) it would automatically go to my settings. Same thing for my wifes (Setting #1) remote. When it was using the stock remotes it worked fine. But the way it ended up interfacing was, no matter who's remote we used, it went to the #1 settings. Which of course only pissed me off.

When I was in ND, that was a god send! I used it every day, even during the summer.

Buy one you will not be dissapointed.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Code CA671's are good remote starters. Viper 790's and 5900's are also a good choice. The viper 5900 has aux channel outputs, so you can have windows rolled down as well...