Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replacing Keyless remote transmitter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Question Replacing Keyless remote transmitter.

I wrote awhile back about my keyless remote not working on my 2003 Chevy 4x4 Slilverado.

I was given instructions to re-program it. That didn't work. I can take my remote to the auto parts store...and they use their tester with it... the headlights flash, and the doors will lock ...they just won't unlock...Can we replace the receiver? If so, where is it located? in the driver's side door? under the hood?

It couldn't go out during the summer...but it had to wait until winter set in..I miss not having the convenience of having them unlock before I have to do it manually...I know...it's a real hardship huh? but I would really just like to know if it can be replaced or fixed by someone other than the Chevy dealership.

thanks
sherri

PS...I had to come back and edit this...I had "transmitter" there and it should have been "receiver" which i have now corrected..

Last edited by shedra; 12-31-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Reciever is the passenger window switch. AKA Passenger door module. Has to be programed by the dealer. Check your unlock relay in the left ip fuse panel. You can swap this relay with the lock relay and see if the truck unlocks but doesnt lock. If so bad relay.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Agreed....check the relay

Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by acnas
Reciever is the passenger window switch. AKA Passenger door module. Has to be programed by the dealer. Check your unlock relay in the left ip fuse panel. You can swap this relay with the lock relay and see if the truck unlocks but doesnt lock. If so bad relay.
Okay we checked out the info you gave us... We checked the location of the relays to lock and unlock the doors.. Even the owners manual shows the relays there but there are no relays...is there a cover over the relays? there are lots of fuses, but no relays. There are socket provisions for relays...but no relays. I can take a picture and show you if that would help? but I don't know how to post a picture on these forums.

In the 3 & 1/2 years that I was parts manager at the Chevy dealership, this was never a problem during my time there...I do not know the people that are the new owners,so, i don't think they would help me without charging me for it. if you get my drift. (appointment.)

Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Check in your glovebox for option ye9. If so the door modules work the actuators on the latches. Not the relays. Could be a Body Control Module issue as well. Dealer may be the best bet for accurate diagnosis as they can see the data of all modules with the Tech2 scanner.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by acnas
Check in your glovebox for option ye9. If so the door modules work the actuators on the latches. Not the relays. Could be a Body Control Module issue as well. Dealer may be the best bet for accurate diagnosis as they can see the data of all modules with the Tech2 scanner.
Thanks for your patience Acnas...It appears that a trip to the dealership is in my future if I want this repaired...which I do. I appreciate all the responses I have received...