Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rust on 2010 GMC Sierra Chrome Bumper

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Any chance you took a pic, I'd like something to compare.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Unhappy 2010 GMC Sierra SLE Bumper Rust

Discovered the same thing this morning on my 2010 Sierra when I washed my truck. Rear bumper had "spotty" rust. I have an appointment for 12K service at the end of Feb; will address at that time. I also have an issue with my driver's side seat. The cloth seems to be wearing pretty heavily. I'm concerned about this, due to having the "Premium Cloth". I will address at service appopintment also.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by notsotough
I have taken it to the dealership in which I bought it - there solution was an SOS pad! I have since taken it to another dealership in a different city and they are replacing the bumper with no questions asked. I am happy this is being resolved - however I am NOT happy with how we had to go about this - almost a month to get somewhere with this issue!

I am wondering how the first dealership is able to provide such a poor solution to resolve this problem. I DEFINITELY will NOT be going back to that one - in fact will be writing a letter to GM directly and the dealership as the treatment there was uncalled for!
notsotough,
I apologize for your experience. I would like to shed some light on why the dealers came up with different resolutions, unfortunately I cannot comment as to why the 1st dealer came up with that particular resolution. I am happy to hear that you have gotten this taken care of. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write GM a letter to provide your feedback. I would also like to provide you with GMC Customer Assistance telephone number 800-462-8782. They can also take any dealer complaints or kudos. I hope this helps.
Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ontario34
I just took my truck to dealership today. Rust on front bumper and tiny rust spots all over the back bumper. Only 12000 kms on this truck! Dealership is ordering me new bumpers front and back. They did not even look at the truck.
They told me that they have replaced the bumpers on half of the other trucks they have sold! Why would they not have told me about this problem when they knew about it? Apparently they had a bad supplier but have since changed to a new one. If anyone else has this problem that the dealership will not fix, let me know and I will send you a copy of my repair when I get it.
Ontario34,
I am happy to hear your situation was easly resolved. I am unsure why the dealer did not tell you; however, they most likely have been busy and trust their customers will come to them when they have problems. If anyone else is having an issue getting this situation resolved please feel free to also email me with your VIN and involved dealer and I try to assist with the dealer. And that goes for anyone with a problem or issue, I am here to help, feel free to email me!
Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Default Chrome rusting for second year

We purchased a new 2009 GMC Sierra in 2/2010. In March we noticed that both sides of the rear bumper were rusting. We took it in to have it fixed and the first time the body shop merely tried to buff out the rust. We took it in the second time and had both sides replaced. Now here we are a year later and both sides of the rear bumper are rusting again. In addition, now the grill and chrome front bumper both have started rusting. While it is an irritation to have to take it in seemingly every year to have these issues fixed, what happens when the warranty runs out and it rusts again. They are not finding a solution to the problem, but are simply patching it with a band-aid.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Please view my reply to this situation...this problem is not going away...

Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Tell them to replace the bumpers front and back. Buffing it out will not help. It was a defect in the manufacturing process. Get in contact with gm if your dealer won't help you..

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by barrye3069
Discovered the same thing this morning on my 2010 Sierra when I washed my truck. Rear bumper had "spotty" rust. I have an appointment for 12K service at the end of Feb; will address at that time. I also have an issue with my driver's side seat. The cloth seems to be wearing pretty heavily. I'm concerned about this, due to having the "Premium Cloth". I will address at service appopintment also.
barrye3069,
Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly.
Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM

If the dealer doesn't fix the problem,rust remover gel should. It works wonders if you follow the directions.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM

I took my Sierra in for service at the dealer on Monday 02/21/11. Upon completion of my scheduled maintenance, the service rep informed me the rear bumper & seat cover were on order. He would schedule the replacement at N/C when the items were in stock. No hassle; no problem. After owning 3 Ford pickup trucks (1997 Ranger; 2003 Ranger; 2006 F150), I was a little sceptical buying a GMC. I'm glad I did. My dealer is listed below.

Kelly Buick GMC
585 State Road
Emmaus, PA 18049

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust on 2010 GMC Sierra Chrome Bumper