Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rust on 2010 GMC Sierra Chrome Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ron8170
The front bumper on my 2010 GMC Sierra is rusted back bumper showing tiny spots that wipe off with cleaner. The dealer where I purchased the truck is replacing it after the second visit. Service manager first said from not regular cleaning and waxing which is crap. The bumpers are junk.
I’m glad to hear the dealership is taking care of the situation for you. However, if you continue to experience concerns, please contact me.

Thanks,
Laura

GM Customer Service

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Hi Laura I purchased a 2010 gmc serria from peterson pontiac in Alberta Canada. The truck has the ground effects sports package, leather seats ,bose sound system along with many other options. I was very impressed with the way the truck looked and perfomed. Until I went to wash it. The first couple of times I noticed small marks on the rear bumper that just wiped off. The truck sits in my garage most of the time and only has 4500 km (3000 miles) . When I washed it last week the right rear bumper was rusted really bad. I took it to the dealership and they told me that it was normal for chrome to rust. ????? I asked them why my sons 2001 serria had no rust on the bumper.She said it was a different bumper ???? I also have spots of rust on both bumpers (front and rear), the chrome step ups on both sides of the truck also have rust spots on them. She also told me that I can have them polished out by them. I took it to them yesterday and they said they would replace the right rear chrome only and I was responsible to keep the rest of the chrome polished. I talked to my salesman and he told me that they had problems dipping the chrome. The service manager said that this was all they would do for now. I think all the chrome on the truck should be replaces. I was wondering if you could give me some direction.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Im sensing a recall on this!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM

Bought my GMC Sierra SLT July 2010 in New Brunswick has 10,000 km after the second visit the dealer is replacing the front bumper because of rust, The back bumper is starting to show that wipes off for now. The chrome on the bumpers are junk.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Hi Laura I purchased a 2010 gmc serria from peterson pontiac in Alberta Canada. The truck has the ground effects sports package, leather seats ,bose sound system along with many other options. I was very impressed with the way the truck looked and perfomed. Until I went to wash it. The first couple of times I noticed small marks on the rear bumper that just wiped off. The truck sits in my garage most of the time and only has 4500 km (3000 miles) . When I washed it last week the right rear bumper was rusted really bad. I took it to the dealership and they told me that it was normal for chrome to rust. ????? I asked them why my sons 2001 serria had no rust on the bumper.She said it was a different bumper ???? I also have spots of rust on both bumpers (front and rear), the chrome step ups on both sides of the truck also have rust spots on them. She also told me that I can have them polished out by them. I took it to them yesterday and they said they would replace the right rear chrome only and I was responsible to keep the rest of the chrome polished. I talked to my salesman and he told me that they had problems dipping the chrome. The service manager said that this was all they would do for now. I think all the chrome on the truck should be replaces. I was wondering if you could give me some direction.
Hi Woody,

I apologize for what you’ve experienced with your Sierra! I would suggest you call GM Canada Customer Assistance because I am only able to investigate concerns for American customers at this time. They’ll be able to look further into the situation for you. Their number is (800) 263-3777 and their hours are M-F 7:30 AM-11:30 PM and Sat 7:30 AM- 6:00 PM EST. If you could keep me updated on your situation, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
Laura

GM Customer Service

Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Well this thread is scaring the **** out of me. I just bought a 2011 Sierra crew cab and love it! I just hope the '11's don't have this issue. Anyone know if they do?? I had a 2000 Sierra and never a speckle of rust.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Beginner
Default Rust in B.C. and Alberta

Just bought an '11 Sierra in the Fall and before 10,000 kms I had rust showing up on the rims and both bumpers. Thought it might just be driving in BC where they salt the roads so much, but I was in Calgary and took a look at some Sierras in parking lots at the mall - rust in Alberta too! Looks like an epidemic, GM better do something about it or their profitable year will be short lived. I'll be back to see my dealer in the spring once the worst damage is done, very disappointed in this truck when I see buddies Dodge and Fords still rust free.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Beginner

I have a 2011 sierra 11000km with rust on the front and back bumpers and rims,dealer said he will clean the rust off if it comes back GM mite change the bumpers .

Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Beginner
Angry 2010 GMC Chrome Rust Ontario

I purchased my gmc truck new in march 2010. After 30,000 km the chrome was flaking off the outer edge of my rims as well as both bumpers and step tubes. The dealer sent the rims out to be repaired as well as changing out the bumber inserts and chrome step tubes. One year later at 47000 kms the rims are still flaking and all chrome inserts are now rusting again! GM won't redo the work again saying there was a one time bulletin out for this problem and they wont do anything more. What ever happened to a 3year 60,000 km warranty? You would think that maybe they would actually put some chrome on these parts instead of passing them through the mist. Has anyone ever taken GM to small claims court to settle these matters? I am seriously considering this option just on principle!............disgruntled in Thunderbay, Ontario.