Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable

its been like that propably way before i baught this truck
i did find a 92 4x4 reg cab short box frame and cab for 150 as is alls i need is the front half of the frame i think im going to buy it then have a shop do all the hard work of welding and alignment and makin sure its straight and what not
is this a good idea to use another part of a frame
we did that to one of our work trucks at work and its good noproblems

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Absolutely, I've done several clips similar to what you're talking about. Like you mentioned, getting the alignment correct is critical and as long as they reinforce where they section together, you'll be fine.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
TruckForum Addict

lol the really big problem is finding a shop where i live to actually do all the welding and alignment
most shops told me it is considered totaled
but i know it can be done the way i described im buyin the frame saturday or sunday know to get the thing home i dont know how but i need a trailor
also i told the shops i would pull the engine and what not and trailor the vehical to them they said sorry but we dont really like people doing that
so screw em im asking my uncle who works at a machine shop/ welding tool and die metals shop
i dont know how long it will take but it will be done
sad thing is i just got the truck mechanically sound

Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Part of the issue is that it's a fine line in regards to legality. Technically, it's supposed to be illegal to weld a frame. The proper fix is to drill and bolt plates to it butlike I said it can be iffy. Most places don't want to deal with the potential liability.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

its not like i would sue them if it fell off i would just be a little made
but i am goin to look at this other frame this weekend so if its notas rusted out as mine is im going to buy it and ill have my unlce weld the darn thing in place of the original and to drill and bolt ??
is that where you take the new part and just drill wholes thru and use grade 8 bolts and nuts to hold it on
also i will be useing my truck to haul trailors for work alot more then i thaught that is the only reason i want it fixed if it wasnt for that i would just leave it the way it is

Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default went and looked at the truck frame

it is a 92 reg cab longox frame
4x4
it has the cab and some of the parts still left like the steering colum and dash and a spare dash
the axles are still under the truck minus shocks
the front axle diff looks to be new as it isnt all rusted and discolord still loooks new
the frame is ver very straight with minimal rust surface rust that i could easylie remove with an air hammer
no dents or rust wholes
the guy is gonna sell it to me for 125 plus and aditional 40 to trailor it to me
but i wont get it today the palce where it is is to muddy to get out to it and get it out
and no the motor and trans and transfer case arent in it he pulled them awhile ago
the cab is no good it will be scrapd along with the rest of the frame
im gonna sell teh axles to help pay for a shop fees
he says that the axles are not locked up so ill find out when i start to teaer it apart
any ideas on what i should sell the axles for if there not locked up
its the 3.42 gearing in the back im unsure of the front axle maybe 3.72

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Those axles are worth at least 100 a piece if they're not siezed up, maybe a bit more.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

cool i just didnt wanna over price them
so i think when i get the frame parts cut off i need i will sand blast them before i havethe shop weld em on and then im gonna probably get some spray on bed liner on the frame
is there any specific products out there just for frames as i know bed liner is next to impossible to get off if ever i needed too

Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Bedliner is ok, I'm a big fan of products like POR-15 and the like. I don't do much in the off road realm though, I'm more into the hotrod and restoration side of things but I've seen the off road guys use it extensively. The por products aren't as thick but are awful damn tough when applied properly.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM
TruckForum Addict

i will look into them and i used to do alot of offraoding but know my truck has become a trailor towing truck for work sometimes so i cant go beating the truck up anymore

the frame will be here next week hopefully
but i dont know wheather to wait till it gets here to start tearing down the truck or wait cuz i do drive my truck alot
the engnine that was in it was a 5.7 so the motor mounts arent different
i just realized what and how much work i got myself into
o well it will definantly be a learning and refresher course for me

Quick Reply: so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable