Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

I should really look into this ... how much total cost are you looking at here?

I'd probably take a torch over to the local scrap yard and cut out the section of a frame that I need, but I'm curious as to how much this is costing you .... if it's cheap ... and my truck can be strong like new again .... I might just tear down for a resto.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

ok so heres what i am working with
1. priceto have shop do it $500-700
2 my friend to do it less then 100

i paid 190 for a reg cab short box frame with axles and cab the cab was gutted all but carpet and dash and doors
origanly it was gonna be 125 but he wanted an extra fee to deliver to my house

my friends got a welder and hes darn good
what i plan to do is cut the frame out with an angle grinder drive my truck over to his house and weld away

i would suggest looking at craigslist
i had some trouble with the local junkyards when i asked them a price of a bare frame they said it would be to much work
but ill keep you posted as it goes along
and i hope you can get yours fixed 5.7 v8 trucks are to good to go to the bone yard i love my truck to much to let her go like that

the shop told me over the phone if i were to tear down the front clip myself pull the motor and what not that it would drastically cut down on cost

hopefully i am able to get some pictures of how we are going to do the fix so you can get an idea
ill take before and after pics
but ive still got a little research to do on how to reenforce teh frame

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
TruckForum Addict

Awesome that will be great! Mine's got a soft spot on it ... crushed when we tried to jack it there. I don't think that means the whole frame is bad, but based on how rusty the entire truck is, I'll bet the frame doesn't have a whole lot left to it. Is it normal for old truck frames to crush while being jacked? It was right behind the driver side front wheel. It isn't really too bad, but we noticed it didn't look right while we were jacking it.

It's only got a 5.0L and a 2.7 axle ... so it's not a HUGE loss if I scrap it It is rather unique looking though. I rarely ever see this same color scheme. https://i.imgur.com/mUHhD.jpg

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
TruckForum Addict

no its not common but frame rust is very common and ive seen 30 year old trucks with better frames then newer trucks and there original frames
mine crushed and rusted thru just behind the pass side front wheeel but i used to scrap metal as a temp job you get more money out of a vehical if you cut it up into peices rather then the whole vehical your frame can be repaired
your truck frame is repairable just depending on how much ya love your truck and how long you plan to keep it
i paln to keep mine till its a classic im actually gonna drive it till the wheels physically fall off then cut her up for scrap and by another one newer this time

Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

hah ... honestly, I really don't intend on keeping it forever. It's just my college/work and occasional hauling vehicle. I'd absolutely love to get a newer 1996+ truck and fix that up. My truck just lacks so many features. The radio's busted, the heat only works on floor and windshield, it has no A/C, manual locks and windows. hah I like my truck, but to be honest, not enough to completely restore it.

Now my Fiero on the other hand ... https://i.imgur.com/lMJkU.jpg
I absolutely love that car .... and guess what. Frame's rusted out :P

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM

Hey cub, I'm gonna try to do up a couple drawings to steer you in the right direction regarding reinforcement. I've clipped front ends, sectioned frames and such in the past and always had great success. Send me a message with your email and I'll get them to you.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Null, restoring a Fiero ? You're a sick man and I like that about you. Lol

Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

i got some pictures up of the new frame for ya

Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default spent the last 3 hours or so

taking off stuff from my front end got the tow hooks off got the bumper mounts off
took off the driver door window seal
got the driver side brake caliper off after fighting with striped out bolts i just took my angle grinder to em and cut off the ares to get the rotor off once that was off i punched out the sleeves in the caliper and cut the bolts off
came right off
my buddy was trying to get the rear window off
any ideas of how to get the window trim off so that the window will come out
the windshield is cracked but the back window is a sliding window one ima sell it
as soon as we get it out
tomorrow the pass side caliper and rotors then um gonna have to get a socket that will fit my front spindle nut to break it off
the tie rod end bolts are really on there im thinig of just cutting them off
lots to do and i will get pictures up soon

Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
TruckForum Addict

awesome

Got pictures of the rust on your truck? Frame pictures like you did on your new one?

Quick Reply: so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable