Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable

Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

Buy the frame, sell the axles, pull your good engine and axles off your work truck and sell all the lot. Sell the left over remains and buy a new truck ... ?

Mine's got a similar issue. The frame crushed a little when we tried to put a floor jack under it to work on the brakes. The whole thing's super rusty, but with me being a mechanic and all, she runs like new. Runs great for daily driving, but I'm leery of the frame for any kind of heavy hauling or even towing anything. It used to tow a 3500lb camper ... so after the frame was rusty and crushed a little, my dad gave it over to me

Your plan is ambitious, but me being a fixerupper kinda guy, I wish you luck in your adventures.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
Buy the frame, sell the axles, pull your good engine and axles off your work truck and sell all the lot. Sell the left over remains and buy a new truck ... ?

Mine's got a similar issue. The frame crushed a little when we tried to put a floor jack under it to work on the brakes. The whole thing's super rusty, but with me being a mechanic and all, she runs like new. Runs great for daily driving, but I'm leery of the frame for any kind of heavy hauling or even towing anything. It used to tow a 3500lb camper ... so after the frame was rusty and crushed a little, my dad gave it over to me

Your plan is ambitious, but me being a fixerupper kinda guy, I wish you luck in your adventures.
thats what happened to mine i baught it and it ran like crap then me a mechanic i fixed her up to where she purrs like a kitten and pulls with no problem
i would put the parts on the truck frame im buying but there is a delema the cab im buying is a long box reg cab
im not sure of how to convert it but i am bound and determind to get my truck fixed up right cause its way to good to go to the junkyard
i plan to take alot of pictures along the way but this will most likley take me around 6 months to finish as i work everyday but sunday and i dont get off work till anywhere from 7-8pm

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Best get a backup vehicle!

I don't think that the cab differences will be too much trouble. Worst case is you'll need to drill new holes in the frame, and use every part off your good truck. Gastank, drive shaft, cab mounting brackets, wiring etc.

I'm excited to see some pictures of this frame

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

ill see how she fits up and i dont mind drilling wholes ill have save for some new tools to do this project
i think that the cab should fit beings the long box is the same wheelbase as an ext cab also i plan to get all new front end buschings and rear shock mount bushings and what not
ill do my best to keep updated pictures

Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default update for ya guys and gals

well my new frame will be here this weekend
i think what i am going to do is just cut the front half off that truck and weld it to mine i just rememberd teh truck is a reg cab short box frame
im also gonna cut the shock mounts off the back and weld it to my truck
the rest is gonna be sold or scraped if they wont sell

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
TruckForum Addict

Best get a good shop to do the welding and alignment. I personally wouldn't want to do such things by myself; not knowing how to weld and all.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM
TruckForum Addict

i know how to weld but the thing is i dont wanna mess with the alignment cause it is a pita
i did happen to hear rumors of a shop about 15 miles from me that does custom frame work
also i do have another vehical to drive my 05 crown vic p71 sherriffs inter.
i am going to be also aquiring a 91 3500 4x4 truck that a buddy i work with is gonna go halves on it
the truck doesnt run right he wants the 454 i want the axles and trans the rest im gonna scrap and get my moneys worth

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Beginner

Good Luck to you. I hope she comes out alright.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks

Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default got some good news today

i found a shop that will weld my frame the exact way i want it done and i can tear it down prior to to save costs they said that was 100% ok cause the guy i spoke to said that he would even just tak make sure its straight and aligned and then tak weld it for me then i could even do the rest
also he said something that i should have thaught of earlier just cut out the old rust spot then weld and reenforce the frame weld a patch panel on it
wow so my borthers friend is gonna be welding it all for me

i just need to know how to reenforce the frame

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so my front frame is rusted thru but salvagable