Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Spray on bedliner..go over rails or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Default Spray on bedliner..go over rails or not?

Im about to put a line-x spray on bedliner in my 06 sierra. What are the advantages or disadvantages of spraying over over the rails instead of just stopping at top of bed and putting those plastic caps on? I know it costs more but just wondering if there is anything else to consider? thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by easydoesit28
Im about to put a line-x spray on bedliner in my 06 sierra. What are the advantages or disadvantages of spraying over over the rails instead of just stopping at top of bed and putting those plastic caps on? I know it costs more but just wondering if there is anything else to consider? thanks

I've had issues with the plastic rails keeping shape and keeping them from fading in the past. With that being said, they can be replaced fairly easy. Always had great experiences with Line-X, however the new truck has Rhino so we'll see if there is a difference or not. I had them just break the corner if you will with the over the rail, that way from a distance you dont notice at all. I wanted the protected top rail but not the IMO gawdy look where they spay 2" down the bedside.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Administrator

On our 06 we had it done over the rails, but not 2" down. Just perfectly in line on top of the bed rail. I would definitely do this again because I know how much abuse the tops of bedrails can take.... My truck is terrible

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

i like the plastic top bed rail covers, down side is i had to cut out the 4 holes as i installed a overhead rack, it mounted in the 4 holes.

if i had a spray cover on the top rails then cutting out the holes would not have been a problem.

as long as they do a good job and have straight line then you might be better with the spray.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM

I personally like the look of the sprayliner on the rails. Looks clean in my opinion and also serves a good purpose as stated. The plastic caps do have a huge tendency of losing shape.

Heres another thought... they have diamond plate rails that look quite nice too.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM

I am on my third truck with Linex. The first one had the plastic caps on the rails and they worked well. They were factory installed and there was no need to replace them. The last two, an '07 and my current '09, have over the rail spray on. It's hard to watch them sand on a brand new paint job but I have never regretted getting it done. The tops of the rails can (will) get scratched up. I like the look and the place that does mine does a great job on it. I've never seen one with two inches down the side. Mine is lined up exactly covering the tops of the rail. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM

I have a 98 with the spray and it comes down the bed a lil. Comes down to the body line. I bought the truck that way. I dont think it looks bad. But i probably wouldnt like it on a newer body. I think it works because of the squareness of the truck.