Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Starting Issues (Sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Beginner
Default Starting Issues (Sometimes)

2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 w/ 219,000mi. On occasions my truck will not start. I put the key in the ignition and all the chimes and lights come on, my gauges light up and work, and the radio comes on. When I turn the key to crank, nothing. No clicking, no cranking, no nothing. Radio goes silent but the chiming still continues. When i return the the key back to the on position the radio comes back, my gauges still work and the lights are on. My volt gauge is reading between 12 and 14.I'll keep turning the key trying to start it several times. Out of the blue, without doing anything, it starts right up. Sometimes it takes several tries, sometimes it takes several minutes. But for some unknown reason, to me, it will eventually start. If the truck has been sitting for a long period of time, overnight, it will always start on the first try. Even when I leave from work and the truck has been sitting all day it will always start on the first attempt. Its when I'm running around to different places and the truck doesn't sit for long, like gas stations, restaurants, shopping, etc. It seems to happen most frequently during the fall and winter months. It hardly ever happens during the warm months. However, it is now happening on a daily basis now. I put in a new relay but the issue still occurs. I thought it was the starter but when i went to exchange it i had it tested and it was fine. they said i didn't need a new one. But I'm still wondering if it is the starter. Battery is new and in new condition. Any thoughts?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM
TMW

There are a number of things it could be. I suggest you put a meter on the starter solenoid wire connections and have someone turn the key to start. You should always have voltage at terminal B from the battery. If the starter doesn't turn over and you don't have voltage at terminal S (purple wire) it may be the starter motor relay or what controls or feeds it. The next time it acts up try moving the shift lever, assuming it's an automatic tranny.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Administrator

This is a wide open issue... it could be a number of potential problems.
On top of what TMW suggested you could start by going back to basics and clean all your connections. Starting with the positive and negative terminals on your battery and the chassis ground.
Then when you go to do what TMW suggested. Clean those connections

Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 AM

I don't have an answer, but I'm having similar problems with my 1992 Silverado. I turn the key to start and everything seems normal except it doesn't start. The first time this happened I replaced the Park/Neutral switch and it started. The next time was a few weeks later. I left it over night and the next day it started fine. I drove it a couple more times before it failed again, luckily at home. Since then I've checked battery, checked the starter solenoid, checked the wiring from the fuse to the solenoid, checked the wiring from the ignition switch to the park/neutral switch, and checked the wiring from the park/neutral switch to the fuse. This is where I seem to have a problem, but I can't find the answer. The wire from the park/neutral switch to the fuse shows a short to ground. The wire is black/white leaving the p/n switch, but is purple/black arriving at the fuse. I haven't found yet where else it goes and am starting to trace the wire thru the bundles. I hope someone has a suggestion. I'd trying to get on the lib.alldata site but think I need to update my library card. Meanwhile I'll be grateful for any help.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Default Heat Soak?

If it starts when it is cold but not when it is hot it sounds like a classic case of Chevy 'heat soak'. I have never solved the problem by messing with the ignition switch or wires; in the end it is when I get ticked off and replace the starter and put in new battery cables...the heaviest I can get. Sometimes I make my own with #2 cable and put my own ends on. Make sure the block is sanded bright and clean for a good ground.

Do you have one of those test lights with an allagator clips? Put the clip on the stud where your starter curcuit hooks up and stretch the light out to somewhere you can see it. Turn the key...does the light come on, even if the starter doesn't turn over? The curcuit is good and it is either the starter or the cables.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by ivbutch
2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 w/ 219,000mi. On occasions my truck will not start. I put the key in the ignition and all the chimes and lights come on, my gauges light up and work, and the radio comes on. When I turn the key to crank, nothing. No clicking, no cranking, no nothing. Radio goes silent but the chiming still continues. When i return the the key back to the on position the radio comes back, my gauges still work and the lights are on. My volt gauge is reading between 12 and 14.I'll keep turning the key trying to start it several times. Out of the blue, without doing anything, it starts right up. Sometimes it takes several tries, sometimes it takes several minutes. But for some unknown reason, to me, it will eventually start. If the truck has been sitting for a long period of time, overnight, it will always start on the first try. Even when I leave from work and the truck has been sitting all day it will always start on the first attempt. Its when I'm running around to different places and the truck doesn't sit for long, like gas stations, restaurants, shopping, etc. It seems to happen most frequently during the fall and winter months. It hardly ever happens during the warm months. However, it is now happening on a daily basis now. I put in a new relay but the issue still occurs. I thought it was the starter but when i went to exchange it i had it tested and it was fine. they said i didn't need a new one. But I'm still wondering if it is the starter. Battery is new and in new condition. Any thoughts?
I have other issues now but was reading your issue. I had the same issue. Started fine after it sat a while then started being sluggish like the battery was bad. It continued getting worse. Thought it was a bad battery but it checked out fine got a new starter and the old one was fine. Checked the ignition switch it was fine. Come to find out the ground where it connects to the block eventhough looks fine from inspection apparently it gets a weak connection there. I took it loose, cleaned up the terminals and block, put it back on and fixed the problem. Rumor has it they are notorious for that. Hope it