Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Beginner
Unhappy Strange issues

My truck has a couple odd things going on, and I hope someone can help.

First, last week, my key fob started acting up and would only lock or unlock the doors, if I was standing right next to the truck. Thought it was the battery, replaced it, still the same problem. Grabbed the other fob and same thing is happening.

Other thing just happened today. After going to my brothers and coming back, when I turned off the truck and opened the door, the dome light didn't come on. The dome light does work, because when I get the fob to unlock the doors, the dome light comes on. Closed the door, started the truck and tried again, dome light still doesn't come on, but will come on when I unlock the door. The dome light is supposed to come on anytime I open the door, but this particular feature is not working, except with the fob. I also checked to see if I had a setting switch for on/door, etc, like in the wifes hyundai, but I don't.

I'm wondering if I have an electrical problem and the two are related, but not sure. It can't be a fuse since the dome light and lock/unlock feature both work, just not properly.

Anyone have any clues?

Last edited by Pickup Man; 04-08-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM

They might be connected through a BCM. However I'm not versed in the electrical system for your truck. This is where a factory service manual would come in handy.
Time to hit up Ebay?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Beginner

I have a service manual, but not electrically inclined.
I forgot about the dome override, so I need to check that button first for the dome problem. I never use it, but it has gotten pushed before. It's not an on/off switch where you can see that it's on or off, it's a push button that looks the same when it's on or off.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I have a similar issue with the key fob, from time to time. I have to be almost arm's length from the truck before the remote will work. My previous '02 didn't have this problem.

For me, the solution would be to get off my a$$ and install the Clifford alarm system I bought nearly 6 mos. ago. Just haven't had the time!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Beginner

The dome light issue was solved with the dome override button. Must of hit it by accident.
Now onto the key fob issue....