Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Strange throttle position sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Beginner
Default Strange throttle position sensor issue

Hello everyone! I hope somebody can help me out here...

My 1995 Chevy C1500 Silverado has a strange throttle position sensor issue. The service engine soon light comes on, the transmission upshifts late (and sometimes harsh), the engine cuts out if I accelerate quickly and the idle speed is too high. If I shut the engine off, pull the wire connector off the TPS and then reconnect it or if I even just touch it and restart the engine, it's like magic...all is well again for a while. It acted up once while just driving exclusively at slow speeds around town, but it usually happens after driving at highway speeds and then slowing down to 25-35 MPH. I jumpered the terminals on the diagnostic connector and got a code 22 (throttle position sensor out of adjustment). Given the strange way it acts, I'm not 100% confident that it's actually the TPS. I was thinking perhaps it was a bad connection between the wire connector and the sensor, but they look fine and it seems to me that would cause intermittent problems, where the issues I'm having are becoming rather predictable. Does anyone have any ideas or has anybody experienced the same issue? The truck is equipped with the 5.7 liter V8 with throttle body injection and 4 speed automatic transmission.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 PM

im going to go on a limb and tell you to try this

relearn the TPS

engage the parking brake and turn the key to on (but dont start engine)

undo to negative terminal on the battery

let the truck sit for a minimum of 30 minutes to drain all the capacitors

after 30 minutes turn the key to off and reconnect the battery

get into the truck and turn the key to ON and slowly push the pedal to the floor and slowly release and this will "teach" the sensors the beginning and end of travel

undo the parking brake