Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Stuck in 4x/Hi/Low - Dash Lights flash - Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Default Stuck in 4x/Hi/Low - Dash Lights flash - Fix

I have read many a post here about transfer cases locking up, some with the dash lights flashing, some not. Here is a first case scenario you need to address before dropping to your knees and looking towards the skies hoping somewhere in the clouds, a GM Tech will parachute down. When you’re out, this may just save your *** or at least get it home.
____Dash Switch Replacement - Not Transfer Case the Problem____
There is a switch in the dash behind the buttons for changing from 2x-4x-4x/low that has a TSB on it. I had this issue happen when out in Anza. I was first stuck in 4x/hi then it went into 4x/low then stopped moving. I put it into reverse and hit the 4x/hi and it went back into that but the lights were still flashing from 2x/hi -> 4x/low and I was jammed up and back in 4x/low. Rocking back and forth for a few mins it freed up and I was able to get it out of 4x4/low into 4x/hi. I shut her down feeling that it had to be a signal issue as I take too good care of my truck. I started by opening the hood and getting to the main fuse box. I first pulled the PCM then the PCM-B and E fuses as well as the ignition and a few others just to cover all bases. I pulled the Neg Battery cable off and waited. After 10 mins I started putting the fuses back in reverse order before putting the Neg Battery cable back on. It somehow bypassed the switch and the lights stopped flashing and I was able to get back into 2x/hi. I had it into Chevy the next day and they changed out a $35 switch and that was 60k ago. The dlrshps are aware of this problem with the 99-02 Silverado’s'. Now the rest of you know, changing that switch out is cheap, don't let it ruin your day. Never give up. Start pulling fuses, your hair, but Never give up.
Greek