Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

stuck valve fluid method

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Beginner
Default stuck valve fluid method

Hi all,
I've diagnosed that I have a stuck valve and been reading a bunch on here of certain methods About freeing up a stuck valve.
One method mentioned was to add about 1 quart of transmission fluid to the oil and drive 500miles then doing an oil change. Because of all the cleaning agents in tranny fluid.

So ive added a qt of fluid. Im assuming that a blue-ish exhaust may be normal? Thats only if its given full throttle.
maybe im wrong and there's a more seriouse problem?
Taking and removing the head is not out of the question. I just felt I would give this a go first.

Your thoughts?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

How did you determine that your valve was stuck? Chances are, the valve its self isn't stuck, it's the lifter failing to hold hydraulic pressure, or it is plugged up.

Transmission fluid does clean up the engine, but if your engine is gunked up that bad, then I really don't know if anything like that will save it from a good ol' fassioned cleaning. Worth a shot I guess.

Another thing to try is a can of seafoam in the oil. I honestly don't know how well this works for stuck lifters/valves, but I've read about it online before.

I'd say if you're 100% sure it's a mechanical issue, then get in there and fix it. That's the best solution.