Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tires, All Season or All Terrain

Old 10-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Default Tires, All Season or All Terrain

My OEM Goodyear ST's are closing in on 2/32nds and I can't see keeping them through the winter (they are horrible tires, made for crossovers, and ridiculously expensive). That said, I will most likely go with a set of Cooper or Hercules (Made by Cooper) tire available from a couple local independent dealers I have bought from for years and trust. I will be moving to 10 ply truck tires, 121 load index. The biggest decision I am facing is All Terrain or All Season.

I am normally an All Season man. I like a quiet ride, excellent wet traction, and long treadlife. That said, last winter when we picked up over 12 inches of snow and I was using dad's 1997 Silverado with BFGoodrich AT's, the off-road tires were a nice plus. The down side being I live in my truck, I drive it every day to work and back on paved roads at better than average speed. Highway noise and ride may not be a trade-off for the occasional bad winter. A typical winter for us is 4-5 snows with 1-2 being 6" inches or more.

Another change, I am a principal. Before this year, as an assistant, I did not have to go to work on snow days, but this year I do.

So what I am asking is what do you guys drive? All Season or All Terrain?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 AM
TruckForum Addict

I have a set of goodyear wrangler AT on my '04 pickup, love em. Quiet, rides nice, they're amazing in the snow, look decent, does really well in the sand/mud. I took it up to the sand dunes over the summer and it did really well up there. So overall, I'm really happy with them.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM

I'm down here in Georgia and don't have to deal with snow that often so AS is the natural choice for me. I like them because 99% of my driving is on pavement but I do go in the woods and mud during hunting season. When my last truck ('09) needed tires I went with the Michelin AS and could not believe how quiet they were. I bought a '14 and specifically wanted AS because I didn't want the noise of an aggressive tread. The truck I picked out had Goodyear Wrangler AT on it so I went ahead and took it. They are as quiet as the Michelins and I could not be happier. Their tread is not very aggressive and I think the truck is just a quieter ride also. Good luck with your choice.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Administrator

It's amazing what we can grow to get use to.. I have a set of BFGoodrich AT's
First year with them I started the season in the snow. Really liked the performance with them. I found the noise you spoke of noticeable in the spring. I found I could reduce the noise with tire pressure adjustment. Because I was driving a 3/4 ton I would max out the pressure at 70psi and that helped in reducing road noise and improved mpg.