Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

toolbox light

Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Default toolbox light

I want a light in my toolbox that will automatically turn on and off when i open and close it. Does anyone know if there is a light like that? And if so, then please post a link to where i can buy one.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default RE: toolbox light

what I have used in the past is the old mecurey lights you find under the hood of most cars and trucks or you could wire a simple on/off switch to be activated by the lid of your tool box

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM

My '68 Camaro had one of them Mercury switches - worked great. But, if you install an on/off plunger button on your toolbox lid it'll turn itself on and off without needing the mercury switch. Think refrigerator door . I haven't shopped for the trick you're after but seems simple enough. Getting power to the switch and bulb may be the most difficult. Gonna have to tap off of an always-hot wire, run that to the plunger switch mounted so the lid of the toolbox contacts it, then to the light bulb mounted where you need the most light, then to ground.

Car alarm shops do a lot of the switch/hood pin plungers so they may have all the stuff you need.

Another option is to just buy a magnetic Tap Light kinda thing and stick it up wherever you need light. You'd only have to worry about changing a few AA batteries occasionally and if you needed to move the light or use it as a flashlight, you're golden.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM

I'm sure the local Ruhdidio Shack will have everything you need.I would go with the plunger type set up myself.I'm sure you can get rubber grommets to fit whatever size holes you drill for the wires to run.AutoZone/Advance Auto/O'Riley's/or God forbid,NAPA should have those.If not your local truck stop might have grommets.