Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

ABS light and Traction Control Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Default ABS light and Traction Control Light

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and had a couple of questions. I have a 2001 2wd Silverado, with a seven inch lift and 35" tires. It also has 4.56 gears. I bought a superchips programmer after I got the gears done because the Abs light and traction control lights came on. The programmer cleared this and everything was perfect. Then two days ago on my way home from work the abs and traction control lights came on again. I tried taking the program off and reinstalled it and the lights were still on. Then I set the program back to stock and unhooked the battery, let it sit and hooked it back up and reprogrammed it. Still the lights stay on. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've read about cleaning the abs sensors but I dont know where they are on the front hubs or the transmission, or what they look like. Also I don't think this problem relates to my traction control because the traction control runs off the abs. So when the abs light is on I have no traction control. Thanks in advance

Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: ABS light and Traction Control Light

I just had my ABS light come on about 2 weeks ago. I have an '03 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8L engine, with 70,000 miles. I took it to my local dealer to have a friend of mine read the codes. came back as 3 seperate codes, these are not word for word..1) Left front Wheel speed sensor irratic 2) Left front WSS not responding and the third code was also to do with the WSS. Had the dealer look up prices / installed. They first told me, the WSS comes as a whole unit which includes Hub,bearing,WSS and harness $350.00 for the unit. I checked @ the dealership where i bought my truck, they quoted me $315.00 installed w/ my discounts and etc, but i figured they would use a less expensive knockoff of the unit, which NAPA has for around $160.00 i believe, and NAPA told me, they are JUNK, 6 mos. down the road, i'd be replacing it again, so i called my local dealership again, and my friend said that they CAN service/replace just the WSS, for i think he said like $215.00 complete, using a genuine GM WSS, so i said cool, its a deal. Made an appointment to drop the truck off that Monday morning, it was Friday night now. Driving the truck up to my dads, figuring ok, no big deal, WSS, basically means i have brakes, just not ABS brakes, i hear a slight thumping noise when i turned the truck to the right, got it home, next morning, jacked her up, checked the left front tire for play (wheelbearings), sure enuf, there was a good 1/2" play. The wheel bearing was shot, hence, why the ABS light came on and WSS. To make a long story, slightly shorter, it cost me $450.00. When i picked the truck up Monday afternoon, the Service manager (my friend) told me, the WB was ready to fall off. Just have to ask this question dharsen... Why would you / or whoever did, put a 7" lift and 35" tires on a "2WD" truck? Just check your wheelbearings for play, as 35" tires could definately put a load on the wheelbearings, CV joints, boots etc...., depending on the offset of the rims. Jim. have a dealer / autoparts store pull the codes, and go from there, cancelling out the codes don't fix the existing problem either.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. i used my superchips and didn't get any error codes. I gotta rotate my tires this weekend so I'll check for play. By any chance do you know where on the hubs the sensors are and what they look like? I'm hoping they are just dirty. Knock on wood.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Nope, not sure. Sorry.....