Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck died today

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default Truck died today

Was driving along and suddenly I loose all power, the engine sputters and dies. I shift into neutral to try to restart it and she just turns over and never starts. So I coast till I slow and pull into a driveway and wait for a tow.

As it turns out, it was my ignition control module on my 305, which had already been replaced at some point before I owned it. So I got home, I removed the module and took it on over to autozone and had them test it .... he said it wouldn't even start the test and went straight to fail. So because of a mess my siblings and I have with autozone's record system, he searches till he finds the same part already bought for my Fiero some time ago ... lol so he got frustrated searching through the records and gave it to me for free as per the lifetime warranty and that I already had one on record for my Fiero which uses the same module.

I got lucky lol ... didn't have a penny in my name to buy one if he didn't want to play ball.

The infamous GM ignition control module strikes again.

The connections were all corroded too. So I cleaned those and smeared some dielectric grease in there in case more water wants to get in there.

I was smelling gasoline after a while of driving too, and she was running a bit rough as of late, so maybe the module wasn't working like it should for quite some time.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Glad you got it worked out. Autozone has the worst record keeping software of any auto parts store I have ever seen. I had a commercial account with them and they owed me for a labor reimbursement (after getting numerous new bad parts I finally complained to the right person) and they owed me for a EGR valve that I returned. In all it totaled a little over $190. They had no records of ever selling me the EGR valve. It was a duralast product too. I finally got them to agree to reimburse me, but they said it would take a few weeks to get me a check. A couple weeks later I get a call from their collection company saying I owed them $190 something dollars. They put it their computer as a debit instead of a credit. I went into the store to see what the deal was and Autozone corporate had removed my commercial account from their system due to me "supposedly' being in collections. I have since gotten it straight with them but will not be returning. I am on team O'reilly's now!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Glad you got it worked out. Autozone has the worst record keeping software of any auto parts store I have ever seen. I had a commercial account with them and they owed me for a labor reimbursement (after getting numerous new bad parts I finally complained to the right person) and they owed me for a EGR valve that I returned. In all it totaled a little over $190. They had no records of ever selling me the EGR valve. It was a duralast product too. I finally got them to agree to reimburse me, but they said it would take a few weeks to get me a check. A couple weeks later I get a call from their collection company saying I owed them $190 something dollars. They put it their computer as a debit instead of a credit. I went into the store to see what the deal was and Autozone corporate had removed my commercial account from their system due to me "supposedly' being in collections. I have since gotten it straight with them but will not be returning. I am on team O'reilly's now!!!!!!
yes team O'reilly's is great i have had a simaler problem with them concerning a battery i baught bradn new and then a week later it bubbled the top when it got hot so i tryed to return it but they said i never baught it there even thow i showed em a reciept
so i have since been using O'reilly's and they know me by name voice and truck every time i call to get a part they recognize my voice before i even spit out what vehical the parts for they have it pulled up i would say awsome service that they have plus i get a great discount thru my work
and glad ya fixed yoru problem nullhead those modules can be a pita sometimes

Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah their record system sucks. I did however separate my new orders from my sibling's. We all were trying to use our house number for our account number with Autozone, so there's like three names under the same phone number with a mix of like four cars for each name. In reality, the four cars are all the same cars, but under different names in their system.

I fixed this by opening a new account with my own name, and cell number. That way, if I'm the one doing work to somebody's car, I'm the one that would have bought the part.

My local autozone is pretty good, the guys there know allot, and service is great, but their system sucks. It isn't their fault, but the store and people are great, so I like to go there to get the reward points. Their prices are usually good too.