Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tubes or running boards? What color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Default Tubes or running boards? What color?

New guy here. But have been reading for several days. I have a 07, Z71 4x4, Silverado extended cab. It's solid white, other than black around bumpers. What color looks best when adding nerf bars or running boards to an all white truck? I'm guessing black is the popular answer. And I kind of like the running board look over the nerfs. Probably wrong there? I'm not going to run it off-road except in an emergency (Floods, tornado's, snow, or ice-storms around here) or a little clean fun from time to time. If you have same style or have a friend with something good looking; I'd appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 PM

I like the look of both. You have to be carefull because if you get nerf bars you either want to get stainless ones or powder coated ones or else they will rust out on you. I got black on mine because I knew that they would get beat up and I was not sure how the stainless would look. I think you could easily pull off either but I think stainless on you truck would look really good!

I personally am not a fan of running boards. Go nerf bars!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

FYI.....Nerf bars are ankle breakers!!!!!!! especially if you live in the north and get lots of snow and or ice.....that being said I like the look of the nerf bar but function and safety have some to be desired..........Im just saying......

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
TruckForum Addict

I would not do either one personally. I am not a fan of either. If I was to do something I would do the little aluminum steps. That way if you are off-roading and hit something it will only take off the small step instead of hanging the whole dam bar. IMO the only reason for a step of any sort is if you are not tall enough to get into your truck... that being said; if you are Vertically Challenged get a shorter truck, etc... Colorado or Canyon....lol

Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

My mom is 5' tall, and on her blue 02 and red 03 extended cabs, she had stainless nerfs taht I think looked pretty good. Now on her black 06 Crew cab 2500 she has black nerfs that look fine and you don't even notice them.

I'm 6'1" and I don't even use them, but they do get a little slick if they get a nice coating of slush on the top. Other than that, I will mention, I HATE RUNNING BOARDS!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

On my wife's Ford Expedition we have the factory running boards and I really dislike them, but my wife insisted on them. Anyhow I do not use them, but I always seem to kick my chins on them getting into the SUV and get my pants legs dirty after my cavles rub against them. To me they are just in the way.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM

I like mine to protect the body a little, not mention my girl friend is only 5'4" and she has trouble getting in and out with the lift.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm 6'2". I had forgotten how running boards can get your pant legs dirty. I like the idea that nerf's can protect the truck body somewhat. I guess if I do anything, I will go with the bars or a single step. Not for me, but for occasions a kid or female might ride. I guess they are all dangerous when they get muddy, but so is that first step into the truck if you are short and your shoes are muddy too.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 AM

My girlfriend's frontier has them. It's like they stick out six inches. You are pretty much forced to use them since they stick so far out. But when you do use them you step on them and feel like you could sit on the roof. They are terrible. Who puts nerf bars on a frontier? Come on, seriously. Nissan designers should be slapped for that. It is a factory set. They are nice on big trucks. I kinda like those steps that come out when you open the door.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 AM

My truck has chrome bars. I don't have rust problems because of where I live.
They have pads on them and I have never had trouble. I pretty much hop right in though because I'm 6'6"
My g/f is 5'6" and she likes the nerf bars too