Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

turbo vs supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: turbo vs supercharged

Hence the recommendation for STS turbos(rear mounted).

Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 AM

I tend to lean toward superchargers. It depends on the application more than anything else. Taking into consideration what the truck is going to be used for, I'd base my judgement on that.
Diesels... sure, turbo them, or since most come with a stock turbo, upgrade the bastard.

Gas engines are a different story. If you want constant fury and pressure taking center stage, romping around with guns blazing, go with the supercharger. 8lbs of boost pressure is really all that's needed to see wicked improvement in power. Off the line, passing power...etc.

If you'd prefer to be a sneaky bastard, and only wish to blow the doors off when you're revving the **** out of your truck, then a turbo is for you.

For the love of God, do your own damn research when it comes time to picking out what it is that you want. Dont let a shop convince you that a certain type of blower is superior to the rest unless they have documentation, dynomometer analysis, and even ask people who've done what you're about to do.

You never know, you might even go the manlier(in my opinion)route and just do what you can N/A. Nothing beats the pride of whipping some fool on motor only when they've sunk money into their boosted ride.

W00t w00t. Bloviating time is over. G'nite ladies and gentlemen.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM

If I had a brand new or much newer truck, I would do the STS turbo. But at the mileage Im at, I would supercharge it. Just because it would be more practical and Im sure cheaper in the long run. Most of them are real easy to remove too, so in case you trade it in you can sell it outright or put it on a newer truck if it fits, ya know?

But brand new truck or one under 50K miles that I plan to keep a long time? STS turbo all the way.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 AM

if i had to choose i would turbo is because just like someone else already said its free power. plus when do you need the power in the low rpm's, everytime you want more power its when you're up in the high rpm's.

the only problem i see with this whole entire thread is one thing, when you add a turbo or a supercharger to any car, truck or whatever, if you are putting out more than 10 pounds of boost, which is usually the mid mark to any decent turbo or supercharger, you need to practically re-build your engine. if you just bolt on a supercharger and throw it at 12 pounds of boost then you will be going through rings and valves like nothing.

if anything build up your motor first. you can do plenty of work to it that will be cheaper then just bolting something on. just slowly put new and better parts into and if you still want a supercharger/turbo after then go for it, but you definately need to build up the motor first.

and never go with a "stock bolt on supercharger" they are worthless. they might put out 8lbs of boost and thats really not that exciting. if you are seriously looking for a decently fast truck you should be looking at about 17-22lbs of boost.