Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

WARNING: Beware of Catalytic Converter theives.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Default WARNING: Beware of Catalytic Converter theives.

Until this weekend, I was unaware of this issue, but aparently there is a new trend of theives stealing catalytic converters right off of trucks. My friend had this attempted onhis '04 Sierra but the theives failed to make off with it. We're speculating that they cut the pipe with a battery operated saws-all but ran out of juice...leaving the blade behind lodged in the half-cut exhaust pipe. No prints could be retrieved from the exposed part of the blade, but thanks to the Mesquite, TX PD for trying. We couldn't budge it from the pipe, but it came out when he was driving home. We came out of a restaurant in an area of Mesquite, TX known as restaurant row, and when he cranked his truck it sounded like he had a broken exhaust manifold, only to find the true issue beneath his truck. My advise is that you park in well-lit areas in that part of Dallas or avoid it alltogether. We parked accross the street from the restraunts and thought we were saving the trouble of finding a spot to park...little did we know.