Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Question Looking to buy

Hello all... I am a newbie to Dodge truck, looking to buy my first. I have had Chevrolet trucks for years and have become bored with their design. I have always like the looks of the Dodge trucks, but have stayed away because I have heard nothing but bad things about transmissions.

I am looking at either 2500 or 3500 diesel, year range 2003 - 2006

So here are my questions.
For all you guys with the diesels, what kind of transmission troubles have you had?
espically anyone who has the aftermarket power programer, or aftermarket intakes and intercoolers.

what things do I need to look for when I am out looking for my new truck? common failures?

What power programer has the best reputation for Dodge diesels?

Thank you for your help,
-Jeff

Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by mechanixman
Hello all... I am a newbie to Dodge truck, looking to buy my first. I have had Chevrolet trucks for years and have become bored with their design. I have always like the looks of the Dodge trucks, but have stayed away because I have heard nothing but bad things about transmissions.

I am looking at either 2500 or 3500 diesel, year range 2003 - 2006

So here are my questions.
For all you guys with the diesels, what kind of transmission troubles have you had?
espically anyone who has the aftermarket power programer, or aftermarket intakes and intercoolers.

what things do I need to look for when I am out looking for my new truck? common failures?

What power programer has the best reputation for Dodge diesels?

Thank you for your help,
-Jeff
Ok where do i start...the only dodges i have everheard of having transmission troubles was the 94-01 automatics and that was behind a gas engine not the cummins. the standard transmission behind the cummins is one of the best transmissions i have ever seen. if you decide to go with a 2007 or newer be sure to stick with a 5.9L cummins and not the 6.7L cummins because you have more flexibility. the 6.7 only has 50 more ft-lbs of torque and an engine brake, but if you cut the resonator off and make a straight pipe (black smoke, loud roar, etc.) the 6.7 will only run for a few seconds and than die due to a sensor installed to ensure pollution control (unless they have come out with a way to do that by now). i have never heard of any "common failures" on this truck it is an amazing truck and you wont be disappointed. as far as programmers i prefer the Bully Dog "Triple Dog" programmer with the "Crazy Larry's" upgrade only available for Dodge Cummins diesel.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Default 2004 dodge2500slt

i got a 2500 quad slt for sale. not a deisel and it has 220,000K on her. it only going for $6500