Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

new to forum. 2001 dodge ram 2500 360, just cant seem to figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Default new to forum. 2001 dodge ram 2500 360, just cant seem to figure it out

hello all, please help!! I recently purchased a 2001 2500 with 117,k on it. beautiful condition couldn't pass it up. I have had a few dodges in the past (dakota, durango) first ram for me.
Now the problem. a few fridays ago, i was driving home and all of a sudden it started bucking, missfiring, sounded like firecrackers in a coffee can, total loss of power. But, was able to keep it running and limp it home. parked it, checked the distributer, wires. all tight and in tact. didnt drive it all weekend. monday morning started up just fine and ran with no probs. talked to buddy whos mechanic, he told me i had bad gas. tuesday same thing no issues. Wed drove it all morning fine. Wed evening after i had made it 4 hours north of chicago to green bay, the bucking, missfiring and fire crackers started all over again. shut off the truck let it sit for 10 min and made it to AutoZone. I replaced the ignition coil (though it was getting to hot and shutting down) didnt even make it back to the express way and the bucking, missfire started again. shut it down and waited took it to a shop where they replaced the fuel pump. they told me it was oxygenating the fuel (whatever that means). after that ran just fine untill this morning. started missing again but this time i didnt have to shut down. put the truck in neutral and gave it some gas. problem went away. btw checked all the vaccuum lines they are all ok.
I am about at wits end with this. the problem is i feel like im trowing darts at a dart board. Ok lets replace this part. that didnt work throw another dart replace another part. ive invested about a grand into this problem and i still cant figure it out. and mechanics cant help me because it conveniently runs great for them.
If you have any ideas please help me before i lose my mind

thank you
Bryce

Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Default RE: new to forum. 2001 dodge ram 2500 360, just cant seem to figure it out

Take the dist cap off and look below the rotor. There should be a round wheel-looking item with gaps in it- this is called the hall effect trigger. It's supposed to be on the distributor shaft immobile, but after extremes of hot & cold, the peened tabs on top loosen and it gives you an intermittent timing hiccup. If you can put your fingers on it and wiggle it, buy a remanufactures distributor and your problem will disappear. If it works, I drink Budweiser.