Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

TRANSMISSION TROUBLES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Default TRANSMISSION TROUBLES!!!!

I recently just purchased a 2007 dodge ram 1500 Qc 4x4 4.7 litre with 20 ich stock wheels....it seems that the transmission decides to up shift when trying to pass some one...and when driving the truck normally and not getting into the gas...it will upshift into 3rd or possibly 4th prematurely....resulting in the motor bogging down and "chugging" in stages back up to a proper rpm range for the speed....the truck has less than 1,000 miles on it and was in the shop at 300 miles....the techs said theres nothing wrong with the truck.....funny cause i think there is....i've drivin all the other trucks...(chevy..ford...toyota...etc) with comprable engines and they didnt do it!!!!!!....

IS THERE ANY ADVICE OR FELLOW DODGE OWNERS EXPIERIENCING THE SAME?????

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: TRANSMISSION TROUBLES!!!!

My 07 1500 ram w/5600 miles is experiencing a similar problem.

I notice the truck lugs at low to medium speeds, 5-10mph(in parking lots), but mostly in the 30-40mph range. To describe the problem: If I'm traveling at 30MPh on a flat road, and I take my foot off the gas, the rpms drop to about 1000-1200, when I press back on the gas with a normal steady motion, I feel the truck(engine) lug. The exhaust note is definitely lower and louder than normal. There's a weird rumble to it. It feels like its in too high a gear and the tranny isn't down shifting properly. If I step on the gas with some authority, it will down shift and away I go. But my gas mileage sucks as it is, I don't want to be stomping on the gas all the time to avoid this behavior.

I thought this may be MDS related with the MDS is kicking in too soon/frequently, but I'm not so sure. If I turn "on" Tow/haul feature (which apparently turns off MDS), the shifting is slightly better, but I still feel the truck lug as described above, just not as bad. Probably because the rpms are up a bit more in tow/haul.

I've also heard people talk about torque converter lockup. I don't know what that is, if that is causing my problem, or if tourqe convertor lockup is normal.

BTW, my 07 1500 ram quad cab w/20" tires is bone stock

This problem started for me at about 4500 miles around the middle of Nov when it started getting really cold outside. Not sure if cold weather makes a difference.

I ready another thread on this site where someone reset the PCM. This computer reset also reset the shift points and improved or fixed a lugging problem similar to this. I haven't tried that, but would like to know more about that potential fix.

I think it's time to take it to the shop. Hopefully I don't get the "that is normal" routine, because for the 1st 4000 miles, the truck ran great(outside of crappy gas mileage performance).

Your not alone, I've read a few other posts on this website describing similar problems with 06/07's. I would say this is *not* normal. If it is, Dodge could save a lot of money by pulling that 5.7 hemi out and putting in an inline 4, I'd get the same performance but with better gas mileage!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Default RE: TRANSMISSION TROUBLES!!!!

ORIGINAL: ram101

If it is, Dodge could save a lot of money by pulling that 5.7 hemi out and putting in an inline 4, I'd get the same performance but with better gas mileage!
I hope you are being sarcastic, because a 4 cylinder inside a heavy truck like that would have worse gas mileage, and would suck at performance....Actually it would barely budge out of the driveway!