Dodge/ Ram Heavy Duty Discuss the 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty Dodge/Ram Pickups as well as the Cummins diesel.

Removing Silencer Ring From Holset HX35

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Thumbs up Removing Silencer Ring From Holset HX35

I've been doing some research on removing the silencer ring in the Holset HX35 turbo on my 24 valve 5.9 liter Cummins 6cyl. I'll probably take it out tomorrow evening and post the results in here.

So far all ive dug up about it is, that the silencer ring is a "sound pollution control" item placed in the turbo at the request of chrysler. And taking it out does nothing more than increase the sound of the turbo as its spooling up (and/or down).... and any turbo diesel lover should know that more turbo whistle = happiness lol

Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Looking forward to your results

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Just got home from work about two hours ago and let the truck sit and give it time to cool with the hood popped. after it was cool enough to work on i took the air intake hose off the Holset intake, proceeded to inspect the turbo and make sure all was well... the turbo had built up a fair amount of oil residue on the silencer ring and the lock ring which holds it in place (not BAD but enough to gunk it up pretty good), and also there was a little slack in the compressor blade spool (not really sure what its called). i cleaned all of the oil off and got my flathead screw drivers into action. the retainer ring has beveled edges, one is slanted with the longest peak on the end of the ring inside the groove in the intake housing on the turbo. the other has the peak of the slanted end facing away from the intake housing. being with the last end of the ring described place your screwdriver under the edge of the ring and pry it up gently it will then pop out of the retainer ring groove. then place the screwdriver between the retainer ring and and the silencer ring its self and begin to gently pry the retainer ring outwards towards yourself to remove it from the groove. once its out then just simply remove the silencer ring... its an extremely easy task to complete, but dont be misslead, it does not make the turbo 10x's louder or anything of the sort. it just gives you a little extra turbo whistle while the turbo is spooling up and/or down.

I took the truck for a short test drive to see if i could notice a difference, and yes i did notice that the turbo is a marginal amount louder but not much. there was ZERO effect on horsepower or torque as far as i could tell by just driving the truck a short distance.

So overall, the task of removing the silencer ring is EXTREMELY easy if you have any basic mechanical knowledge (know how to use a screw driver lol), but be careful not to mess up the turbo housing or the rings as you may want to re-install them later on.

If needed i can post some pictures of the parts and where they are located in the turbo.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Just a heads up there should never be oil on the compressor or turbine side of the turbo. If you are getting oil in there it may be time to check shaft runout and endplay. You may be looking at getting it rebuilt, not to worry though it is fairly cheap for a stock rebuild.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM

If you want even more turbo whine take out the muffler in the big round black canister between the air box and the turbo.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 PM

when i removed mine my mileage went up.

it lets in more colder air too and the whistle is a nice touch

i got mine out with 2 screwdrivers in 2 minutes very easy

Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 AM

I ended up putting mine back in, it didn't really do anything obvious as far as performance goes for the truck. and with all the other issues the truck has as well as there being oil on the compressor side of the turbo I believe it's time to sell the ole Dodge.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Beginner

you this is what for i am searching and helps me a lot good to see it.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

There are been an very good results been find out and the structure changes been made.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Beginner

There were no skid marks left by truck 2.

Last edited by couponlo; 09-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.