General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

"engine" coolant drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Default "engine" coolant drain plug

I have a 2001 Chevy Astro with a Vortec 4300 V6 CSFI. I am in the process of changing the engine coolant--it uses the DEX-COOL COOLANT which is supposed to be good for 5 years or 50,000 miles.
I drained the radiator--remove the thermostat and replaced the gooseneck and added Prestone coolant flush and drove it for a day. Now I opened the radiator drain **** and flushed th engine while it was running until clear water continued to come out---
I have a set of GM SERVICE MANUALS and they say in the manual to make sure you remove the "ENGINE" COOLANT DRAIN PLUG or you will only get about 50% of the coolant out---being that this is such a good coolant & "expensive" I want to drain the block---unfortunately the book doesn't state where the plug is located.
I called a Chevy parts dealer and the parts man tells me he only shows the FREEZE PLUGS and can't find the DRAIN PLUG--but he also says that doesn't;t mean there isn't one.
Does any one know if there is a ENGINE COOLANT DRAIN PLUG and where it is located?
Thank you,
Paul43

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I haven't heard of one. I have always just taken the lower radiator hose loose and pulled the thermostat housing and ran water through there until it runs clean. That has to get it all out.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM

There should be a drain plug on the side of the radiator. I think it is on the driver side of the radiator, if not it would be on the other side. There is also drain caps on the block on both side to drain the antifreeze from the block. When you put the plugs back in make sure you put some liquid thread sealant.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by GMC1989
There should be a drain plug on the side of the radiator. I think it is on the driver side of the radiator, if not it would be on the other side. There is also drain caps on the block on both side to drain the antifreeze from the block. When you put the plugs back in make sure you put some liquid thread sealant.

I also always did the removal of the thermostat and bottom hose and did so on this van--but the GM manual calls for also removing the drain plug in the engine block.

I called a GM dealer and their guy in parts hunted his machine looking for a drain plug and told me he couldn't find one --he found freeze plugs but no drain plug--but he says that doesn't mean their isn't one.

I found one plug on the passenger side but it's damn near impossible to get at and I'm beginning to wonder if it worth it.

I think I'll just add the Antifreeze mix and run it and keep checking it with my coolant tester and adjust the mixture if it is necessary.

Thank you guys for the answers.