General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

flooding Nissan Frontier, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Default flooding Nissan Frontier, what to do?

Hi all,

I've got a 2005 Nissan Frontier, 30,000 miles, that unfortunately ran into some flooding tonight. Had it parked on a slight incline facing down, and had some fast-moving flash flood water go up to the top of the front tires. Water also made it into the exhaust, but since it wasn't pointing in the flood water's direction of travel, I don't think water "jetted" really far into the exhaust (don't really know though).

I have not turned over the engine yet or even turned on the electrical. I know the hazard lights work though, I'm keeping them on overnight until I decide what to do in the morning. I looked under the hood and there is debris in the bottom. It looks like the water made to about an inch or two up the radiator, but no further. I checked the dipstick for water, and luckily didn't see any. Haven't checked transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc. The interior is moist in the passenger front and at the bottom of the seats, but did not soak the back of the cab. There was no standing water in the interior.

I am worried about the electrical, brakes, wheel bearings, CV joints, transmission, etc, as well as mold in the interior. I found the following link which has a laundry list of stuff to do.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st.../429084&EDATE=

Should I have it towed and brought to a mechanic or check some stuff myself? It seems like 4x4 guys bring trucks across water all the time, but this was fast-moving water for like 30 minutes, and it was filthy flood water. I'm wondering how much it could have affected the systems the water came in contact with and would hate for a bunch of stuff to start failing on me because I didn't take care of the problems.

Oh, did I mention I have to drive from Tennessee to Rhode Island for Navy OCS in two days? I have great timing

Thanks for your help,
Eric