General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

What makes a good truck engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Default What makes a good truck engine?

Howdy yall,

I am new here and need some help. I am doing a project for a highschool project and am doing extensive research on truck engines. I would like to know what makes a good truck engine. What are the qualities that make a truck engine effective. Examples and expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Danny G

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Well I think high on the list has to be reliability - no one wants a truck that is in the shop more than on the road. Even though trucks are driven by just about everybody these days there purpose is to haul. In order to haul, a truck motor needs to make decent torque and horsepower - so a powerful engine makes a good truck engine. Unfortunately as the torque and horsepower numbers increase the gas mileage decreases. Modern technology has increased that somewhat, but for most part trucks are very inefficient. So in a nutshell the ideal truck motor is one that is reliable, strong, and as fuel efficient as possible. Even though I am GM fan I think Ford is on the right track with their new Ecoboost line. There reliability is still questionable (only because they have recently been released) but the idea of a smaller displacement artificially aspirated engine that can be produce big torque and hp numbers while sipping the least amount of gas as possible is, in my opinion, the future.

I hope this helps - good luck with your assignment!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM

That is exactly what I am looking for thank you so much! I will start and try to maintain a thread on my engine build as I make progress.

Danny