New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Fuel Milage & Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Default Fuel Milage & Power

So I recently bought a 2007 Chevy Suburban 2500 (New Body Style) with the 6.0L gasser. I had previously bought a 1978 25 foot camper hence the reason for the suburban. My Ford Focus couldnt quite pull it...

After buying the truck I went to pick up my trailer where I was living in it 3 hours away from home. I was getting around the ballpark of 14mpg at 120KPH (75MPH) on the way there (no trailer). That was fine by me. I was uber happy with my new rig and it has oodles of power if compared to my Focus. I hooked on to the trailer and headed back home. The burban performed very well in stop and go traffic. Mine is rated for 8000lbs towing and the 6500lb trailer faired well. Pulling out on the highway was another story though.

It was windy as all hell that day (40-50 mph winds) and my poor truck barly kept 60mph and never went into overdrive. There were numerous times it kicked into 3rd gear and decided to stay there reving at around 5 grand . I thought to myself numerous times that maybe I should try pulling it with the focus. 300 kms later and a tank of gas I was home. I averaged about 6-7 mpg OUCH! Again acceptable for towing but considering I couldnt keep speed I figure I need more power. Simple enough right?

Last weekend I was working out of town again and took the rig with me. I averaged 9mpg this time and it held cruise at 60mph reasonably well in overdrive. (Thinking about it now I ott to try 75 or 80 mph to see if cruise will hold in overdrive better) I figure I need more power in the 1500-2500 rmp range. This will help me out drastically while towing and should improve my fuel milage a wee bit. Mostly my driving is highway with a little bit of city because I live 30 km out of the city of Saskatoon.

I was looking around on the world wide interweb for fuel milage booster doo-****ers and I came across a gadget that claims to increase fuel milage with water. Having a bit of physics and chemistry background being I am just out of highschool these things seem legit. They are called Hydrogen (HHO) Generators. These do ****ers take baking soda and water and some battery power and holey **** you have go juice that is injected into your air intake. People claim to get anywhere from 25% increase to 50% in fuel milage. I'll believe it when I see it. I figured what the hell I'll order it. The guy I ordered it from makes them from bubah kegs, worst come to worst it'll be a conversation piece under the hood. I just ordered it Monday (labour day 09) and its due to arrive on the 17th. This is the first thing I'm goign to try to improve fuel milage and horsepower. So far I only have an air intake and hillbilly exhaust both of wich I've claimed for free and installed myself. The HHO generator was $80 and I'm hoping it works. When I have it installed and have a few test runs under my belt I'll get back to you and tell you what I think and explain it further.

Sorry if I'm babbling on too much but there are those like me who appreciate lots of information. Feedback questions and ideas are welcome.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Let us know how it works for you. I have a neighbor that was selling these set-ups and he swore by it (of course he was trying to sell them). He had one on his 1998 Tahoe and said he was getting 22 MPG out of it and it felt faster. I think he fell into some scam b/c he was trying to sell them for $950 when I saw them all over eBay for $100 or so. I never had the heart to tell him that, but I know he has quit trying to hustle them to all the neighbors. Maybe he found out that he was WAY overpriced. He always has some kind of get rich quick deal going on so I never really paid much attention to what made his set-up worth that kind of money. I did look under his hood and all it was was a black canister with some kind of electrode down in it and was hooked to the battery and plumbed into his air intake. It looked fairly clean. He said he had to fill it with distilled water every so often. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Yeah I am quite intrigued by these systems because I heard you get even more benefits out of the TBI systems. KEEP ME UPDATED! If I can 22mpg out of my truck I will be tickled pink compared to the 14.8 I"ve been getting

Old 09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Sounds good to me too!!!!!!! Let us know!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Default 22 mpg.... yay

This weekend I decided to check the sparkplugs.... well nothing is ever easy and I always find a way to go too far with things. Checking the sparkplugs turned into buying new sparkplugs then installing the plugs lead to breaking a wire wich lead to all new msd wires wich lead to having the computer reprogrammed for more power. Basically I turned a free spark plug job into a $600 tune up. $80 for plugs, $100 for new wires, 400 to have the computer tuned.... owning a chevy - priceless.

The local automotive shop takes a read from your computer and sends it away for some nerd to tinker with. They send the specs like tire size what fuel you burn, what accessories you have (air intake, exhaust, etc.) and they make a custom program the automotive shop reloads onto your trucks pcm. They do an engine program and transmission program. This changes speedo for tire size, adds hp, increases rev limiter, removes governer and helps with fuel milage. If I run premium it'll give me about 30 rwhp. I've only had it for a day and so far I figure its worth the money. At 55 mph I was getting 22.5 mpg as opposed to 17-18mpg that I was getting before. At 75 mph I'm getting about 16mpg ish. This is only a day after programming. The truck needs to be driven so the computer can relearn itself and your truck to set itself for best power and milage. So it should only get better. I'm so happy with the 22mpg. Never thought I'd see that.... ever. My goal is still 25mpg at 75 mph and to be able to break tires loose withought too much effort. Still waiting on that hydrogen generator but my hopes arent up by any means.