Off Road You go muddin' lately? Share your story. Is that ride of yours a rock climber? Show us in here.

different kind of swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Beginner
Default different kind of swap

to pull off this custom 4x4, I pondered the idea of mounting the engine and trany in the rear of the 4x4 bronco frame. The cradle and all. The way i see it, the transfer case looks to be about in the center of the wheel base. So drive shaft length should be close, other than differential placement. i might have to get reverse cut axle gears. Ive seen truck mount a rear radiator and run long water pipes, so i think that will work. Can anyone see any major structural problems that might prove deadly in mounting the engine and tranny/transfer backwards

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM
TruckForum Addict

yes i see several issues you will encounter first of all you will need to strengthen the frame box it and weld supports also i would suggest putting some reenforcement bars across the width of the frame as the front of your broncho and any other vehical are reenforced to handle the load and twist of an engine
also monster trucks run a rear engine mounted in there trucks so i would do alot more research about your project first before you start gettin to far and relize you missed something as i have doen before and many others have done before

Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

That's a pretty intense project! If I was more mechanically inclined I would love to experiment with my Tundra like this.. anyway, once you're up and running, send some pics of the process!