Off Topic A place for you truck junkies to boldly post off topic.

Plowing Input?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Default Plowing Input?

Well, I bought a 98 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 and I've recently picked up a 7'6" BOSS straight blade so I plan on doing some plowing this winter and make a few extra bucks.

I've yet to mount the plow or really do anything with it as I'm still working on the truck, but I was hoping I could get some advice or just general comments on what I should look out for with mounting the plow, or even with running the plow itself.

Also, is there any special maintenance that needs to be looked at while plowing? Extra stress etc?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM

I can't really offer much advise on installing the plow, but I worked for a plowing company here in Montana for a couple of winters while I was in college. They had a fleet of 20 or so plow trucks, a few back hoe's and skid steers.
The biggest thing I noticed about the plow trucks was you need to keep an eye on your front suspension parts. We had a mix of chevy and ford trucks and they all ate ball joints, u-joints, and wheel bearings like nobody's business.
Keep in mind these trucks were used much harder than you will probably use yours, and they were driven by employee's that didn't have to pay to fix them when they broke.
Just keep stuff greased and inspected and you should be okay.