Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Silverado Exterior light problem... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Smile exterior lights malfunction,

hello everyone, i think i solved my problem with the turn signal lights. i removed the rear lamps junction and tesred it with a continuinity tester and found a ground terminal shorting to the left and right parking lights.i ordered a new junction block online and will install it next week.patrick100 tried this and it didn't work but he may have wires that run along the frame from the front to rear that go to he lights frayed or broken somewhere. i will repost after i install the block. thankyou,michael

Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Hi Michael,

Sorry I haven't responded to your posts sooner... I've been away from my computer the last 3 days. Based on what you found with the multimeter, I would agree that the junction block is probably your problem.

The good news on my end is that I finally have working lights! My problem was the ground wire that attaches to the frame above the spare tire. The wire was broke just before the connecting ring... probably had too much tension when it was originally torqued down. It took me longer to solve this than it should have because I didn't realize the ground for the rear lights split off and went above the spare tire.

I think I've learned more than I wanted to know about these lights. My advice... if you are seeing similar symptoms, check your ground. An easy way to do this is to create a temporary ground connection and see if it fixes the problem. I did this by connecting a jumper from the ground line of any rear lamp socket (the ground wires all tie together at the junction block) and any bare metal on the frame (I found a spot on the tailgate latch). As soon as I did this, working lights. At that point, it was just a matter of finding where the ground was lost. Seems like the junction block and the connection to the frame above the spare tire are two likely places.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Default malfunctioning turnsignals

hello everyone, i finally fixed the light problem. it seems everyone i,ve talked to about this problem had a bad ground wire ,but they were broken or frayed in different places. one guy had a bad junction block but that was not my problem.the groond wire inside the blue connector at the junction block was sheared off inside the terminal. there are 8 wires at this terminal that go to all the rear lights.i should have solved this much sooner but misled myself thinking it was the same problem as everyone else but at least it's fixed. thankyou for all oof your help.mike

Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Thats great man!