Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'88 350 TPI Crazy Fast Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Beginner

The plugs on the backside are a possibility I didn't think of. I'll post here what I find. Been to cold around here all the sudden to be doing much. Appreciate the advise

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dansic
Been to cold around here all the sudden
Where is "here"?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Where is "here"?
Here would be Oakland MD. Where the weather is bi-polar. 50F one day, and 20F the next. It's aggravating. I checked the plugs on the back.... or rather I confirmed that I can't actually see them without taking the engine out. So even though I can't really afford it, I have opted to pull the engine and find all the problems. Hopefully nothing else is going to be going bad after this.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

So the oil was coming from the rear of the engine from under the inspection cover?

Nice thing is those engines can be out in around an hour or so.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Beginner

Just ting this all up. I know it is belated, but it's an odd occurrence. I have since rebuilt this engine completely as what happened fried the cam, and ALL bearings in the short time it was running in this condition. I had taken the TPI intake off to paint and polish it. During that time, the fuel lines remained loose over the lifter valley. I had forgotten about them. Normally this wouldn't be a cause for concern. But my fuel tank does NOT release built up pressure. (i dont know why) This caused gas to splurge out into the lifter valley, and consequently, into my oil. That in turn caused the oil to reduce its viscosity, and spew out of both the main seals. It was a dumb mistake on my part. The oil should have been replaced anyway, but at the time i was short on cash. I got a new job shortly after and rebuilt the engine. Thankfully, Crane Cams keeps ALL their cam specs from any year they made a custom work. Got my cam, lifters, push rods, bearings and now it purrs. I thank anyone who tried to help!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Wow !!! Who would have thought... Thanks for coming back to update your thread.
Don't be a stranger

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

Oooohhhh .... I would have guessed you would have just pushed the lines off to the side or disconnected them before removing the intake. Which would mean that the fuel would have just ran off the intake and down the engine, or evaporated before you got the intake off.

Interesting. So your fuel lines were leaking fuel into the lifter valley for a good week before you started it up? That'll do it ...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Wow, what a thread! As I was reading it, I was reminded of instances where people mix solvent-type into sealing-type coolant, causing otherwise "sealed" leaks to dissolve and suddenly start hemorraging. In a way, that seems to be what happened, just with your oil.

Glad to hear you're engine is where you want it to be!