Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cone air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Default RE: Cone air filter

ORIGINAL: 72charger

The problem is you have no mount for it so it will just be hangin down and beating on stuff as you drive around. I drove a Lancer OZ around like that for a while and the filter started rubbing on stuff and eventually almost rubbed a hole through the filter. If you can find a way to make it stay still and keep the filter from rubbing something you'll be set though.

If you do those and it works out real good let us know. I may try it.
There isa metal ring on the filter that supports the filter and intake tube. The tube and filter are at a good angle where there is no movement.You can't really see it inthe picture, butit is supported by the horn.I have hadthat setupfor 2 months with no problems.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 PM

I have been thinking about the ram air as well for a while, just haven't had time to do it.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM

i just drilled holes in the bottom half of my stock air box then put the k&n cone filter in the box. then as previously suggested, i zip tied that baby to the box. it holds it in place just fine.the top of the box is in my garage.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

popo- do you not get too much heat from the engine by having the top off? Or did you make a shield to keep the heat back?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 PM

the stock box seems to shield the heat away pretty well. I opened up the box on the side facing the fender, half of the side facing the front and all of the bottom. i haven't really measured it with a temp gauge but the rest of the box is used as a heat shield. in theory of course. plus i have alot more room in my engine compartment then you guys do. They seem to have forgotten to install 2 more cylinders at the factory.

plus my intake tube goes around the left side and then straight down on the top of the engine and not infront like the v8s as well. as soon as i did it the truck sure seemed to like it.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Cool. I found that my truck likes 50 degrees at the intake best, so if we can find a way to keep it there (even in the summer with maybe a cool box) it will continue to get great power. The fuel milage seems to suffer though, but that may be due to a dirty MAF as that is generally the culprit and I haven't checked it yet.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM

I got a 2000 GMC another way i was kind of thinking about putting a small scoop on the hood directly above the air box. The only thing is it might look kind of ugly. I really want to add a turbo or super charger sometime in the future after heads and pistons.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM

This is how I did mine: click

Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM

Do ou use a water sock

Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM

the stock box seems to shield the heat away pretty well. I opened up the box on the side facing the fender, half of the side facing the front and all of the bottom. i haven't really measured it with a temp gauge but the rest of the box is used as a heat shield.
IDEA: What about flipping the box so the opening was facing down and removing the plate underneith? I removed the plate that the airbox was attached to when installing my CAI leaving a big unblocked void between the filter and the pavement. If you did this with the airbox and could find a way to turn it upside down with the lid off and hold it in place, cooler air could be pulled from underneith while blocking the hot engine compartment air. (Unless my truck it set up differently than yours). Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Cone air filter