Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Engine Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds like the injectors are sticking open a bit. You could take it over to a shop and have the injectors cleaned with their concentrated injector cleaner, or you can try some on the self stuff. I like seafoam.

Or replace the injectors once you've tested the pulse with that little noid light.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

If the TB cames with injectors in it, then warranty it.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Beginner

So I finally checked the injectors with a noid light and both sides flash like they are supposed to. What I did notice as well is that even though the truck runs really rough with one injector unplugged it runs better on one injector than the other. I am not sure if that is normal. I also unplugged the coolant temp sensor with the engine running (on both injectors) and it ran better. I plugged it back in (engine still running) and it continued to run better. WTF! Any more ideas or comments would be great. Thanks for the help so far!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

I wonder if it is possible that the TBIs that you've been getting are coming with the wrong size injectors for your engine. I have no clue how to check the injectors, but someone here might know. Maybe injectors designed to put out more fuel. Maybe buy a new pair, or go to a junk yard and grab some out of another truck?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Beginner

I was thinking of changing the injectors but now I am starting to think that I might say to hell with the fuel injection and go to propane. Thats what I ran on my other trucks and I didn't have this kind of headaches. I have everything to convert but the propane hat that replaces the injectors but I know someone that does. I will keep messing around untill I get all the propane parts then I am switching.Thanks for all your help though.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Beginner

No more engine flooding so far!!!! I took the throttle body spacer out and the problem seems to have gone away. I don't know why the spacer would cause it to flood only when the engine was cold and only when the air temp was cold but that seems to have been the problem. I am still considering the propane route but as dual fuel not as straight propane. That way when I need more power I can switch to gas. Here in Canada I pay $1.30 for regular unleaded and $0.68 for propane which is readily available as I still have a key for the local propane keylock system. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Still no engine flooding issues! I have also noticed that now my injectors are nice and quiet. Any thoughts? I am baffled as to why the spacer would cuase these problems as I run them on my older chevies with only positive results.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

No clue, really. Maybe you had a bad seal and it was causing a vacuum leak? It must have been throwing a sensor off.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Beginner

No vacuum leaks but I did notice a line in the machining between the two bores and I wonder if it was leaking between the two causing the problem? The fact that I couldn't find a vacuum leak anywhere around the throttle body is why I didn't think of the spacer before. But oh well its all good now! Thanks again for all the help.