Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

A Few Questions About A Pending Shock Absorber Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Default A Few Questions About A Pending Shock Absorber Project

Hello Members

I noticed that one of the front shocks on my 2000 Sierra 2500 4WD is leaking fluid. I would like to replace them myself, but I can't find definitive answers to a few questions. If you don't mind lending your expertise, I'd certainly appreciate your efforts.

The first question is safety. Assuming the wheel is on the ground, is there a need to support anything before the shock is removed? (I don't have coil springs).

Second, if I decide to remove the wheel & tire for more access, is the standard jacking point (with a jack stand) an OK place to support things?

Do any of you have suggestions for good replacements? I don't know if this is important or not, but I have air bags in the rear. The truck isn't heavily loaded often, but does tow sometimes (about 3,000 to 6,600 pounds). About 99% of my driving is on pavement. Sometimes I have to tow a generator to a location that's off the road, but neither far nor often.
I'd rather not spend a bunch of money. I think my main goal is to not have a 'wishy dippy' or chattery front end & to be safe.

The last question is asking for any tips on removal of the old ones. (They got a shot of penetrating oil today & will get daily shots until I can do the job.)

Thanks very much for any advice you can share!
Paul

Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
TMW

No you don't need to support it while removing and installing the shock.
The standard jack points are OK.
There are several good shocks on the market. I like the Bilstein 5100 series but then I go off road a lot and they cost more. I've had good luck also with Rancho too. You might want to talk with the parts store and see what they may have a good deal on.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Thank You TMV
Something about the front suspension had me confused about what holds what up. When the tire & wheel are off, I'll get a better study of it. (And take photos to study later. I have to know how everything works. It's a curse.)

Thanks Again and for the shock brand ideas.
Paul