Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Glasspacks after the muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

i got true duals with 2.5 with just glass packs and it sounds alright. just build the motor up

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM

The more you add to the exhaust the quieter it will get. Headers with no muffler = LOUD!!! Headers with muffler = less loud. Headers with muffler and cats = quiet. So you add one more thing to the equation and you get nothing. Just more quiet! If you want real sound remove the muffler and do a glass pack period.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcbst12
The more you add to the exhaust the quieter it will get. Headers with no muffler = LOUD!!! Headers with muffler = less loud. Headers with muffler and cats = quiet. So you add one more thing to the equation and you get nothing. Just more quiet! If you want real sound remove the muffler and do a glass pack period.

yep makes since to break it down like that..
Then again Ive heard everything stock setups w/ just a 40 series instead of stock muffler on a v8 and its considerably loud to me. Again TO ME. Its all personal opinion and maybe on your first true setup sometimes you might have to just kinda "go for it" and do what you wanna do cuz no truck is going to sound the exact same. Maybe if your lucky find an exhaust shop that will swap out mufflers and take old ones. I got one of those here in College Station and they'll swap out your aftermarket muffler for free if its too loud or whatever and put you a new one on. That lowers the price a lot if you get a used one from them and they get mad business its always packed over there. Ill probably do my business there. My good buddy's dad owns the shop, I might work there this upcoming year.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigredmariner
Yeah I know what you're saying now. I've always been a Flowmaster guy myself and have always liked that aggresive sound. I finally put a SI/DO Flowmaster system on mine a few months ago and I love it, not too loud not too quiet. Good luck though it can be a real PITA. You can check on youtube though there are alot of videos of people showing off their systems, it may help some.
Oh really dude? What series and what size pipes? Any tips? you like the SI/DO? Thats what Im going w/ for sure.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Oh and by the way anybody got experience w/ the dynomax super turbo muffler?? This was one of the few setups that was a dual outlet for my truck w/out going custom

Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by David.C 91 2500
Oh really dude? What series and what size pipes? Any tips? you like the SI/DO? Thats what Im going w/ for sure.
Mine has a 50 series muffler, 3 inch in 2 1/2 out, it came with SS tips. I like it so far, I've always gone the true dual route so this is new territory for me, but I like it. There's very little noise in the cab cruising down the highway. It's mild this is what I got: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=4087

If you've got time and know a good shop it would be cheaper to have someone build it for you. I didn't have alot of time at home and did the install late one night after work. I would have prefered to have it custom built given the time. BTW my truck is a 2006 CCSB Z71 Chevy.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 AM

just go on-line like on youtube put in exhaust for the year of your truck and engine and listen to some exhaust sounds that might help you there. Also check out lmctruck.com they have online catalogs and they do have exhaust systems there. They have these tips that you can put on that give it a nice deep tone. For like 30-40 bucks i believe. But thats for a straight through exhaust no mufflers.