Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help narrowing down some problems i have

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cubpak89
i have just gone completley mad over my truck the last few days she has pissed me off more times then i can count in the last week
first about a monthago my altenator wuit workin beaings inside were shot wouldnt spin like it should so i caughed up the 140 for the new heavy duty works great
know after hauling about a ton a day my battery light flickers on and off my service light does the same. the lights come on at the same time then off at the same time
i had the local mech check the altanator with is testor it was good its putting out 14.4 volts as it should
also my fuel gauge doesnt work local mech told me it may be the ground on the bed is bad
i thaught maybe it was the float inside the tank that wa bad so i stoped and asked him im not ase cert but i no cars and trucks as i have worked on them since i was about 10
so maybe some one can help me narrow down the problems
i have checked all the body grounds and chassis grounds you can think of minus the fuel pump ground as i my truck is old and has alot of wiring ran to the back for trailor lights
i took the front clip completely off and sanded down every little thing that the grounds went to
and yes they are tight
i dont have anything other than a cb hooked up to my truck
also my reverse lights are out found that out when i got a warning from my local cop
so if anyone has a diagram they could share or some knowlage i dont please share thanks

Whenever an alternator fails it can allow the battery to fully discharge. If the battery was old when this happened it may have been mortally wounded. Next time you have the alternator tested do the same for with the battery; as either alternator or battery malfunctioning will illuminate the warning light.

Is the failed fuel guage pegged at full or empty or stuck somewhere in between? Does it flicker or move when ignition is turned on or off?

When a full system failure such as both reverse lights look for a common component failing. The back up switch is where I would start since you have already checked grounds. Make sure your back up light fuse is OK. Use a voltmeter at the light and select reverse and check for power; if good then you have a ground issue; if no power while checking then your back up switch is faulty.

Good luck. I need the rain to stop here before I can look into my own truck issues. Forecast is rain for next 5 days!

I would be eternally grateful if someone could provide you with proper electrical diagrams. I need them also.

Dan

Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by dannyman
Whenever an alternator fails it can allow the battery to fully discharge. If the battery was old when this happened it may have been mortally wounded. Next time you have the alternator tested do the same for with the battery; as either alternator or battery malfunctioning will illuminate the warning light.

Is the failed fuel guage pegged at full or empty or stuck somewhere in between? Does it flicker or move when ignition is turned on or off?

When a full system failure such as both reverse lights look for a common component failing. The back up switch is where I would start since you have already checked grounds. Make sure your back up light fuse is OK. Use a voltmeter at the light and select reverse and check for power; if good then you have a ground issue; if no power while checking then your back up switch is faulty.

Good luck. I need the rain to stop here before I can look into my own truck issues. Forecast is rain for next 5 days!

I would be eternally grateful if someone could provide you with proper electrical diagrams. I need them also.

Dan
thanks Dan also the fuel gauge moves around as if its free floating in water kinda like a compass
and where is the fuse you are talking about located as i am not sure
and the fuel gauge only does this when the truck is running
and i think you are right about the battery being mortally wounded as i took it from my dads 99 suburban which hasent ran in three years
and as for the reverse light switch im pretty sure that maybe the case as they used to work and then just quit workin
and now my 5wd actuator is out so thats another problem also i am thinking really hard about pulling the motor and puttin it in my dads suburban and converting it to efi from tbi
again thanks for the help and if finally stopped raining here so ill take a look today

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Fuel guage floating would indicate a loose connection from the fuel sender to fuel guage or a faulty transmitter(sender). Remove, clean and re-install connections.

Fuse panel is located behind the panel at drivers side end of dash. Accessible with drivers door open.

Let us know what you find.

Dan