Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Pulling while braking on my 95 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Beginner
Default Pulling while braking on my 95 Silverado

Hello, New and looking for help. I'll try to make brief but give as much info as possible. I'm also pretty much a DIY guy but I'm currently baffled at something. I recently purchased a 95 stepside (excellent shape) from someone who mostly garaged the truck. At the purchase I was informed that there was a "hard pulling to the left" when ever you stepped on the brakes. I instantly thought..air in the brake lines, piece of cake. The previous owner stated he tried fixing with no luck by replacing only the Master Cylinder and new steel brake lines. The truck lane dives to the left hard on sudden braking.

Since, I've installed new
* Front pads and calipers
* Rear shoes, wheel cylinders and drums
* Inner/outter tie rods with an alignment
* 275/60R15 tires properly inflated
* Sway bar and bushings
* System bled with new fluids (all fluid, no air noticed)

This is totally a braking issue. I can see the front calipers grabbing when brake pressure is applied. Front disc are not warped as the previous pads had even wear equally to both sides. I have no sounds while braking, overall it's a quite and straight ride until I brake. The ABS dummy light also remains on as like the day I bought it from the previous owner.

I have not changed the hydraulic flex brakes lines (from the steel lines to the calipers), which I'll be putting on within the next day or 2. Also could it be the ABS Module, Hydraulic Unit or Modulator Valve ? Each one of these are around $400-$500 each so I don't want to start guessing, could get costly at 500 a pop!

I'm out of ideas..about to take to a shop and have them go over everything..which I'm gonna hate.

anyone have any suggestions..would be greatly appreciated
thx

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well, if the truck pulls to the left while breaking, the brake components that aren't working are on the right side of the truck.

Here's what I'd do. If you've got 4x4, get the truck up on jack stands. All four wheels off the ground. Put it in 4x4 and break torque and look to see if your right front wheel still spins. If so, try to bleed the right front caliper. If you do not get fluid, replace the flex hose. If you do get fluid, I would suggest replacing the caliper, as it sounds like you have already installed almost every other component in the system.

Also get that ABS light checked out first before you do anything else.