Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rear Brake and Axle problems - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Default Rear Brake and Axle problems - HELP!

I'm new on this forum. If I should post this elsewhere let me know.
My 1999 Z71 has been a great truck....except for the Brakes and the Diffs. I'm always getting the "service 4X4" light time and again..

1) already had the front axle seals replaced with the brakes 10K ago.
2) I put the truck on jack stands last night and the rear right axle seal is leaking (royal purple) gear oil on the parking brake.
3) I was needing to do the brakes since the above brake job ws done. The truck has a heavy pulsing like the rotors are warped.

Here is what I need - How do you remove the parking brakes? It looks like I need to remove each axle? What manual is the best for this truck?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Rear Brake and Axle problems - HELP!

no,no need to remove axles just to change the parking brake hoops...they'll slip out.
However,yes,you'll need to remove the axle to change that seal.

however,none of that will turn that lite on...it needs to be checked for codes

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 PM

I tried to get the hoops past the bearing housing and they are too small to clear. Any special technique to get those parking brake hoop off?

To pull the axles do I have to take the pumpkin cover off? If there is a shop manual you recommend that would probably be the best way for me to go. I've got too many projects going and the wife was not happy to see the truck in the air.

I notice that the right axle seems to have a lot of end play. Like greater that 30 or 40 thousandths, is this a shimming adjustment, or bearings?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to know how involved this is going to be. I might just have to button up the thing and deal with the axle seal/ens play issue later if it's a lot of work.

After I get all this still done, I'd like to start tweaking this Z71or better towing power, and MPG. I'll post another thread for that one after I read what the other are doing. Probably headers/exhaust, reprogram, and any air intake tweaks that make sense. I'm an old timer, so the last tweaks I made to fuel was back in the day on my 66 and 69 Mustang. I'm sure there are some tricks you can help me with...

Again, thanks for all the good advice.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 AM

the hoop will get past the axle flange...sort of "rotate" it off...
yes,you must pull the cover and drain the oil to get an axle out..you'll have end play...a lot

Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Argon - Thanks a ton! I was worried that the axle end play was not normal and that it was contributing to the (extremely heavy)pulsating from the rear brakes. The rotors have to be really warped, it shakes the whole truck when I brake. I'll pull it apart tonight.

BIG THANKS TO ARGON AND THIS FORUM

I hope to contribute soon,

Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM

It MAY be worth new rotors,if you find some cheap ones..look inside the rotor..the "hat"....where that hoop rides...if it has a nice lip on it,you'll never get the park brake tight

Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM

I pulled the diff cover last night. I must be an idiot but I couldn't figure out how to get the parking brake shoes off without pulling the axles. I bought new rotors, pads, parking brake shoes and wheel bearing sealsso I have to pull the axles anyway. I pulled the left cap holding the diff bearing off and didn't have the nerve to go farther. Can someone help me figure out how to remove the parking brake shoes (they won't slide off) andthe axles. Is there a shop manual I can subscribe to to figure this out? I'm dead in the water.....

Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 AM

AHHHHGG..put that cap back!!..

rotate the pumpkin around...you'll see an 8mm headed bolt...remove that,then slide the "big pin" out...this a little shaft about 6 inches long and as big around as your middle finger...the bolt holds it in.

get that shaft out...then push inward on your axle...it will expose a "U" clip...flick that horseshoe clip out (if it does not fall out itself when you push the axle in)...once the horseshoe is removed,slide yer axle right out.

to re-cap...pull the 8mm bolt....the silver shaft,push axles in to drop horseshoe,slip axle out

one more thing..if this is limited slip...getting to the horseshoe clip will be a bitch.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, it's a limited slip..... Argon - Thanks again...

Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Beginner

try twisting the parking brake hoop to get one side started over the axle first. this was from Haynes manual. you may want to check your rear calipers . I had to replace mine after my first break job (115,000 miles) they would not fully release and were dragging after being compressed.